s-video/component question about denon 1603/1803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by darren_b, Oct 22, 2002.

1. darren_b

darren_b Extra

Im in the final stages of demoing the denon 1803 unit. BUT i have one question.

I will contecting my tv into the receiver via component input. Then i will be running the dvd player out through the component jacks on the receiver.

Now, i have an xbox, and want to run the S-Video from the amplifer, can i do this? (as my tv only has s-video at front and i dont want cords running in the front)

So basically, if im using component from tv to receiver, if i plug xbox into s-video on receiver, will this give me an s-video picture? As i dont want to use composite?

Hope you know what im on about (can't get xbox component in aus)

thanks

2. Marc Hollins

Marc Hollins Auditioning

I am also looking into denon receivers, and from what I've read elsewhere on this forum, they don't do conversions between connection types. In other words, it will not convert s-video to component. You would have to run s-video to the tv and switch the tv. I have heard of receivers converting between s-video and composite though. You could look into an external converter.
    BTW - I would highly recommend getting component cables for the x-box, it makes a big difference.

Marc

3. darren_b

darren_b Extra

Yer thanks, i might import some component cables.

Can anyone confirm this??????????????

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Import component cables? Why not just pick up the HD pack??

5. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

I believe Marc is correct.

Put it to you this way, on the 2802, the on-screen display does not work on the component hook up. I had to add another connection from the receiver to the tv to use the OSD. If it could send the S-Video through the component, I likely wouldn't have had the problem.

I'm sure one of the on-line companies will ship component cables to Aus, no? E&B? And you'd get to take advantage of the component abilities of the X-box (sure it's just yet another expense...)