S-Video Cables - 15' needed

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MikeBoehm, Aug 11, 2004.

1. MikeBoehm

MikeBoehm Stunt Coordinator

I have a projector I'm "Testing and Storing" for work and want to hook it up in my system. To get the projector far enough away from the front of the room I'm going to need about 15' of S-Video cable.

Not many places have cables that long but radio shack has a coupler to hook 2 together and I could use two 8' cables and a coupler. Cost for that would be around $50-$60. Or I can buy a 13' cable or so from BestBuy for $60 (not sure 13' is long enough though).

So anyway, will I notice much signal degradation with two 8' cables connected together or even a 15' single cable? Since it's an older projector I don't expect it to be perfect but still want it to be as good as possible. The projector doesn't have component inputs but has S-Video and the 6 RGB old fassion connectors.

Any advice on how to get that far connected or even a place to get inexpensive decent quality cables would be good too.

Thanks.

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

3. MikeBoehm

The DVD player is a DVP-S360 or something like that. It has Component, S-Video, and the standard yellow video out plug. THe projector has S-Video and the standard yellow plug.

So S-Video is the best I can do. I was recommended to use Belden cables but I honestly don't know anything about cables to know one from another. They gave me this link to order from: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/svideo/index.htm

A 20' cable there is about $50 or so I guess. But again, no idea what makes these cables better than others or how they compare to the ones in your link above.

Thanks for the info.

4. John S

John S Producer

CC has GE brand cables (the the best, but certainly decent) svideo in those lengths.

I use them almost exclusively doing installations for people, do to my pleasant experiences with them -vs- their low cost. (I find most people just hate the sticker shock of true quality cables and connectors and have mostly given up on it unless particularly requested to use better)

5. MikeBoehm

I called CC and they said the longest they had was 12' so I'd still end up needing 2 hooked together.

6. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Not if you did a little more research on the web about cables!!!
    Don't settle!!!
    Search the web!!!
    Through a search in your web browser. Find what YOU need!!! You'll be alot happier!!!
    Vb

7. John S

John S Producer

Hmm, I think you are sort of right. If I remember now, it seems to get a 20', I had to get one that also had an optical cable or something weird with it as one cable.

Then again maybe I'm thinking of Component Cables too. Sorry about that mis-information there if so.