S-video cable resolution?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny B, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Danny B

Danny B Extra

Hi,

I was told that if using S-VIDEO cable(connected to a DVD player),i will only get around 400lines(cause the s-video has its limit around the 400 lines of resolution) out of 540lines that a DVD player puts out.

BUT if i use component cables,i will get the 540 lines of resolution!

is this at all true? does any1 know?

Thanks

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Not true. Both the S-video and component connections deliver essentially the same luma resolution of 540 TVL. However, component connections can deliver better chroma resolution.

3. Danny B

Danny B Extra

Thanks you for clearing that up for me.

I was worried i would not get the full 540 resolution lines by connecting S-VIDEO since that is all i can connect at the moment.

Thanks again

4. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Coposite, S and component all have the same luma resolution (black and white)- Which is good to 540 lines and more...

However, composite and S video are limited in their chroma (color resolution) to about 120 - 140 lines respectively. Since DVD is encoded with 270 lines of color (half the luminance resoluion), you can see that composite and S only deliver about half of that. A component or RGB connection is necessary to deliver the full 270 lines of chroma info.

-Ryan Dinan