S-video cable quality?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jay W., Apr 29, 2004.

1. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

I need some s-video cables. I was looking at getting AR cables from accessories4less and they cost $15 a piece. But my local mall has some RCA S-video cables for $5 a piece. Are The AR cables really worth the extra money?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Despite all the hype about speaker wires making a dramatic difference in your sound, I tend to like to go budget for audio wires and cables, but put a bit more money into video cables. (What's more sensitive: your ears or eyes?)

The other issue: your equipment. I doubt you would notice a difference between either cable on a 19" tube. But running DVD signals to a 50" standard or a 50" HDTV - you are more likely to see a difference (if you know what to look for).

I cannot honestly tell you that the AR is better/worse than the $5 cables. I can tell you I have use the AR Pro2 SVideo cables to great effect on my 50" RPTV. I think they are a great value for the money and I often recommend them for less-sensitive systems.

(Here is a hint: video cables do not work well if they are bent in tight turns or back-and-forth in a blister package. A company that knows about cables packages them in coils without tight "U" bends. AR, Monster and others all do this. Does the $5 mall cable look well packaged? If not, go with the AR brand.)

Hope this helps.