What's new

S-Video cable for Sega Saturn? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the S-Video cables sold for use with the Sega Dreamcast will also work with the Saturn? The end that connects to the system looks the same, but I can't tell if it really is or not.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
No the Saturn has a plug that is very similar to S-Video, whereas the Dreamcast uses a Multiout that is very similar to the PlayStations Multiout.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I bought a gold-plated Saturn s-video cable from Hong Kong for about 2 bucks 2 years ago, and if I had known what a rare item they had become, I would have bought a couple of dozen.
You can get one from Lik Sang at http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=1097&
You'll want to buy a couple of other things if they have something you want cheap, otherwise shipping is going to cost more than the cable.
[Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 19, 2001 at 08:27 PM]

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the connector is different than the Dreamcast's- I got it confused with the controller connectors. That really sucks how they have game systems made so you have to use THEIR cables instead of putting regular S-video out jacks on the systems! I remember you had to buy a whole attachment for the Turbografx system just to get ANY A/V outputs on it!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yup. The basic reason is cost. Outputs take up a lot of real estate on a console, and only the PS1 originals had even seperate RCAs on them. It's a lot cheaper and more versitile to just use cables like that,because you can serve everyone out of 1 connector on the board
Jeff Kleist

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Or in the case of the Jap. GameCube selling any cables period, as the system didn't come with any!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks