What's new

S-video Cable Brands, does it affect quality? (1 Viewer)

Pat M.

Auditioning
Hello. I'm a noobie, as you can tell by my registation date. I usally just read the topics here but now i've got a question of my own. I've searched and read but can't find the answer. Basiclly I've been working on my home theater set up. I bought a new TV, an AKAI 27" tv. So anyways, right now i'm useing phillips $6 walmart S-video cables. I'm not looking to spend $50 a cable or anything but I was wondering if getting AR entry level cables would offer a large improvement. Thanks.

BTW - It's an apex 1200 + sci atlanta digi cable box via the s-video outputs into my onkyo HT-500 reciver then outputed into the TV.

Thanks again.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Respectfully, not until you get into silver S-videos will you see a large improvement. Sure, there could be some difference, but not night and day between 6 to 25 buck cables.

Lex

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You'll find with price variations that construction/the connector/maybe shielding varies around a bit. A wide variety of perfectly adequate svideo cables can be found at a number of places. For example this site sells a wide variety of cables and even their top end model isn't that terribly priced. Cables get damaged by accident or carelessness.

Pat M.

Auditioning
Thx for the replies. My cables are even thinner than the "very good" cables on the site Chu Gai linked too. Does that probley mean they have no sheilding? Would sheilding make a noticable diffrence? The electronics around the cables are the 27" tv, onkyo reciver, digi cable box, vcr (usally off), dvd player, optonica amp (old amp for my woofer), xbox, speakers and coax cables...also about 20 feet away in the next room is a washer + dryer, directly above (probley 10 feet includeing floor thickness) is a microwave, refridgerator, stove, toaster, ect. Any help is appricated, thx.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well how's about stating if you think you've got a problem right now? if so, it might be worth taking a stab at an svideo that's dbl shielded.

Pat M.

Auditioning
Sounds good. Thx...

One more question. When on lower channels like 3 to 16 there is like a diagnol scrool across the screen. I dont see it when on channel 101+ (digi cables chans) or when useing my dvd player. Do you think that is a ground loop on the digi cable problem or a s-video cable interfearence problem? Thx.

Pat M.

Auditioning
Well...i just checked out the cable splitters in the other room + here's what I found. The line in goes to a 1 to 3 splliter which ties into another 1 to 3 which goes into a 1 to 2. Both 1 to 3's r grounded by copper wire but the 1 to 2 is not. The cable going to my TV is on the none grounded splitter. It is possible to remove one hook up on the 1 to 3 and be able to get rid of the 1 to 2 all together so i'll try that later on tonight. Also, all 3 splitters have 110 DB noise rejection or whatnot. Any feedback would be great, thx.

Pat M.

Auditioning
Turns out I can't get rid of the extra splitter but I did ground it, the lines seem less visible but it could have been the colors of the show on the channel. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks