S-Video Boosters....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Simonian, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Yo. Im looking to lay down about 200ft or so of S-video cable and I know I need a svideo booster.

Can someone point me in the direction of some nice quality s-video boosters?

2. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

I recommend the Camelot Excalibur powered S-Video cable available at www.audioadvisor.com. $199.95 plus $8.95 shipping. It's not really a cable, it's a small box used between two cables and does both signal conditioning and boosting. It's recommended for cable runs of up to 50 meters, which is a little shy of your run, but if used with a high-quality cable, it would probably do the job very well. I use one for a much shorter run of about 20 feet and definitely see an impovement in video quality even at this short a distance. The website has a fairly detailed description and picture.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Are you sure you cant run component (3 wire) cables? That SVideo cable is a pair of 30 ga wires, while the component cable is a set of 18 ga conductors. It will do a lot less attenuation for long runs.
    The current Parts Express catalog has a video distribution amp: part #180-009 SVideo distribution amp for runs of up to 150 feet for $120. Try www.partsexpress.com.
    The current Markertek catalog has a:
    Kramer 103 YG SVideo Line amplifer trys to compensate for the attenuation of the different signals, and gives a 3 port output feature for: $135 Part: KR-103YC
    Markertek also has a Pico Tool Miniture Distribution amp for SVideo for: $72 Part: PT-102S
    They also have a Twisted Pair Distribution system so you can run twisted-pair (I think this is computer network cable) for runs of 200 meteres. But the Transmitter & receiver are each $108.
    Call Markertek at 800-522-2025 and they can send you a catalog or perhaps advise you on which DA (Distribution Amp) to get.
    Hope this helps.

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Bob - I would definetly use component if I could. This is for a LD and S-VHS though.

Thanks for the sites, Ill look into them.