What's new

S-Video and standard RCA video switching - Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Michael Thompson

Auditioning
I just got my first receiver with S-Video switching(Sony STR-DA3ES.) However, I have a problem with video switching. My DVD player is the only source I have connected with the S-Video and then have an S-Video monitor to the TV.
My other sources will not display their video signal since they are connected with standard RCA video. I guess I would have expected it to be able to pass the standard video through the S-Video as well. I realize that there would be no improvement in quality of these sources, but at least they would all work.
I suppose my TV is really the limitation. When an S-Video cable is plugged in, the RCA video is automatically disabled. Otherwise I assume I could run S-Video and RCA from the monitor outs on the receiver to the TV and be o.k. either way.
Does anyone know if there is a way around this, or am I expecting too much?
As always, thanks in advance for the advice!

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I have a 20" Sony TV with an S-video input in the rear and when a cable is pluged into that port the TV will ignore anything plugged into the RCA Video connection. I've got an RCA Video cable plugged into Video 2 on the front of the TV.

It sounds like your TV acts the same why.

Secondly Composite -> S-Video conversion is a feature that's not avalible on all recievers. The Pioneer Elite that I have hooked up to the 20" won't switch, but I think my Sony ES 9000 T will. But then again the price difference there is huge.

So just run the S-Video to Video 1 in on the TV and RCA to video 2 in on the TV.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Michael Thompson

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the only connections on the TV are on the back and they don't divide into Video 1 and Video 2.:frowning:
I'm afraid I'm stuck with normal RCA video until I upgrade my TV.
There wouldn't be any third-party products (maybe an add-on box or something) that would do this switching in the meantime?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
When an S-Video cable is plugged in, the RCA video is automatically disabled.
I hate it when TVs operate this way, but unfortunately it's common. My old Pioneer Elite RPTV was better designed; it only deactivated the composite input ("RCA video") when it sensed an incoming signal on the corresponding S-video.

I'm afraid I don't know of any solutions short of using your DVD player's composite output so that everything is on an equal footing. Not a desireable solution, since S-video output from DVD is vastly superior to composite. You're right to be focusing on the TV for a future solution. Most receivers and processors won't convert composite to S-video, and few (if any) components will do as a good a job of conversion as the comb filters in a good current-model TVs.

M.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Michael, you can convert your composite video soureces to S-video with these. This will eliminate the need to run composite from your receiver to your TV....video from all of your sources will be routed via the S-video cable from your receiver to the S-video input on your TV. I use one for my VCR and it works great!
Hope this helps,
Vin

Michael Thompson

Auditioning
Thanks Vin!
I think this is what I had in mind. No apparent loss in signal, but I don't have to worry about switching cables either.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Vin, I bought a very expensive version of this(138.00$) to go to my receiver to sony tv. I was very disapointed due to the pixel or block like display while watching vcr source material andreturned the item. Have you tried this particular converter?

I have a DA5ES and would like the convenience of such a low cost solution.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Dan, I'm actually using the Radio Shack convertor which goes for $20 and it works great.
My satellite receiver has two sets of video outputs, one with S-video that connects directly to my A/V receiver....the other (composite) is connected to my VCR's line input. The line output from the VCR connects to one end of the converter, the other end connects to an S-video cable which then connects to the A/V receiver. When I switch inputs from my receiver between satellite and VCR (with satellite signal passing through to receiver) I find the two signals to be indistinguisable....I'm very happy with the performance and the convenience offered by using the converter.
The reason I recommended the one from Parts Express is because the price is significantly lower and no extra cables are required as they are with the Radio Shack convertor. (Look at them both and you'll see why).
Although I haven't actually used the Parts Express convertor, I have recommended them to a friend of mine who tried them and was very satisfied.
So, if you only need one and you want it today then Radio Shack is the way to go (but don't forget you'll also need another S-video cable). But if you need more than one and you could wait a couple of days for delivery, buying from Parts Express will save you some money.
Vin

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm using those cheap ones vin pointed to convert my VCR's composite out into s-video out and on my 50" Toshiba RPTV I see no visible artifacting or any loss of image quality. For the price its worth a shot but they worked for me.

Lawrence MI

Auditioning
Michael,

Go to Radio Shack and check out two new switch boxes they just introduced. One has 4 inputs and 2 outputs ($59.95) while the other has 6 ins and 2 outs ($149.95). Both will convert composite to S-Video (without improving quality, but they're amplified so you don't get degradation, either) and allow you to hook up your TV or your receiver with only the S-Video input.

Both units feature learning remotes, so you can use your current remotes to control them. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks