S-Video and Digital Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenB, Mar 18, 2002.

1. StevenB

StevenB Agent

Hello,

Well, I thought I was making headway with my HTS until I decided to get Digital Cable last week. OK, here is my equipment (at least the stuff that matters in reference to my question):

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-810S

TV: Sony WEGA KV-27FS17

DVD Player: Sony NS700P

and some Motorolla Digital Cable box which the cable company is coming to replace on Friday so I can have one with activated S-Video out.

Now here is my question. Will I be able to get Digital sound from a cable box with an S-Video out? Or is the S-Video for video purposes only? My receiver has S-Video input for the TV/Sat (which I assume will be my cable once i get the right box) and an out to 'monitor tv'. My TV also has the S-Video input so I can connect the receiver to it. I am so very confused. I feel like I am back at square one. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

S-video is for video only. To get digital sound from a cable box, it has to have a separate digital output, which may be either coaxial or optical.

You appear to have all the inputs you need to take S-video from the cable box to the receiver to the TV. It's impossible to tell, without more information about the cable box, what audio options you will have.

M.

3. StevenB

StevenB Agent

Hi,

So if I have a cable box with an optical out, and my receiver has an optical in for tv, I am good to go for digital sound?

Steve

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul