What's new

S-video and component video hookups - picture differences (1 Viewer)

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
I have some issues I'm trying to resolve with my hookups. I have my DVD player going through the receiver via S-video and also directly to the tv via component. Some things I've noticed about the 2:

-Obviously, the component picture is much better. However, still frames (such as dvd menus) seem to be jittery (or rather not perfectly still, almost like a very slight flicker) when viewed under the component input. When I switch to the S-video input, the still pictures are perfectly still, as they should be. Is this normal? Could this be a setting i've missed or the cables themselves causing this?

DVD player: Pioneer DV-444
Receiver: Pioneer elite 36TX
TV: Panny PT-47WX52
S-video cable: AR pro series 12ft
component cable: AR pro series 12ft

-the second thing I've noticed is solid black fields. Under the component input the black is perfectly uniform, but under the S-video there seems to be a strange 'noise' that you can subtly see taking up the bottom half of the screen, almost like a low grade version of what you would get if you paused a video tape.

Any help and suggestions would be great!

Ritchie T

Agent
sorry I cant really help you...but I do get that same problem with using component cables (the jiterry effect). Right when the DVD goes into the menu screen, I see a slight 'jump' from the menu. After that, it stays still. I always wondered about that. I used a different DVD player with an s-video connection, and I dont get that problem.

Im wondering the same thing just as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks