s-video adapter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter f, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Peter f

Peter f Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Anyone know if there is an adapter out there i can use to go from S-video to Coax? trying to connect a s-video source to a non -s-video tv..

thanks

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

S-video to coax? Not that I know of. Does the component in question only have an S-video output? No composite?

I've seen S-video to composite converters, but in order to convert one of those signals to RF you'd need a modulator.

3. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Peter:

You can do it for $25.

You need 2 adapters both from Radio Shack:

(1) SVideo to Composite (RCA) plug convertor $20

(2) Composite (RCA) to Coax plug adapter $2 - ?

Add tax and you'll be near $25.

Note: Your TV will only receive Video this way - no audio

Rich B.

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Richard,

I don't think that will work. The reason for saying that is b/c the composite signal is a line level video feed. If Peter tries to put a line level signal into the coax RF input he will get nothing.

Peter,

If you have a composite input then the first adapter that Richard spoke of will work for you. Have fun!

Dan Hine

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the TV has only the antenna coax jack for input, use as part #2 the USD $30.00 composite to coax adapter (RF modulator). Total cost will be USD $50.
    And there is even the method of feeding a TV with nothing but two screw terminals for the antenna. Get part #3, a 75 to 300 ohm transformer with a coax jack and two pigtail wires. I think this costs USD $5. at Radio Shack. (You still need the other two parts.)
    The sound can be put through the TV this way, although it is better to use a stereo set, even a boom box.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    And if you don't like all these bits and pieces of adapting one format to another and then to the next... you can spend about $150 and get an entry-level S-VHS VCR. It'll transcode any of the formats into the others (s-video, composite and RF). [​IMG]