S-VHS VCRs record SVHS ONLY from S-Video input, or from cable (RF) too?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by sasha, Dec 4, 2001.

1. sasha

sasha Extra

If I get an S-VHS VCR (i.e. JVC 3910), plug normal analog coax cable into it, will it a) pass the signal to my TV via S-Video, and b) record tapes in SVHS format from cable? Or does it require S-Video input from some S-Video-out-capable device to record SVHS (seems to make sense..)? In which case, what will an SVHS VCR record if I stick an SVHS tape into it and tell it to record from cable? And will that recording be any better than normal (and crappy) VHS recording [​IMG]
    Thanks.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Yes, it will record SVHS, and will pass video to the TV via S-Video. I've done this with my setup, a JVC 7800.

Todd

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Sasha, if you haven't already purchased the S-3910 you might want to do a search here on S-VHS. There have been some posts recently that addresed the issue of JVC's lower end S-VHS VCR's. Consensus seems to be that you'd need to step up to the 7000 series to be able to really appreciate this format.

My personal experience with JVC's 3000 series S-VHS was very disappointing. I saw no improvement to speak of over my standard VHS VCR so I returned it for a refund....I have no personal experience with the 7000 and 9000 series that seem to be highly regarded.

At the very least, I would make sure you could return the VCR if you're not happy with it.

Hope this helps,

Vin

5. sasha

sasha Extra

I have... at vanns.com, so it seems I would be able to return it no problem.

I'm not upgrading from any VCR, I'm buying my first one. I figured for such little money, and for such rare use as VCR would have (comp. to DVD), OK-quality S-VHS will suffice... This, of course, based on a number of people writing that using real S-VHS tapes and SP, the quality on this one is quite good, better than any VHS. So I figured if I occasionally want to dub a DVD or time-delay XFiles, I can get a few SVHS tapes and be happy...

Of course, if it plays rental VHS tapes (in those cases when DVDs aren't out) worse than other VCRs, I just made a bad move. Guess I could buy-and-return some $200 VHS panasonic to compare at home on my XBR.

Thanks.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Sasha:

I dont want to throw too many options at you, but I have not used my VCR in nearly a year after getting a DSS system with a hard-drive recorder. These little gadgets are addictive once you get used to them and they produce a much better quality playback than even my SVHS VCR (JVC 7800). (But then I do use the DSS system as the SVideo source for the VCR).

Right now you can get the Dish PVR501 unit with a 30 hour capacity, free installation for about $29. Yes, you must commit to some programming, but you will want this anyway. Highly recommended.

7. sasha

sasha Extra

Thanks. I know all about them (watching my friend put on quite a few pounds since getting his TiVo... not that correlation is proven or anything [​IMG] )
    I live in an apartment, and although I haven't verified, it's pretty likely I don't have a direct view to the satellite from my patio [​IMG] I would definitely get DBS system (ah, $9/mo dish sounds attractive!) with built-in recorder if I could, but for now I'm living with (quite excellent, luckily) analog cable signal and - soon - SVHS VCR... Until DBS, I don't want to get TiVo for exactly the reason you brought up - I'm afraid of the addictiveness of it.

8. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I just purchased the JVC 3800 and noticed a tremendous improvement over my old VCR on my Mits 55807. I don't know how much more of an improvement the 7/9000 series could really offer (and given the huge price difference, I'm not sure if it'd really be worth it).

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Actually, using the PVR (Personal Video Recorders) REDUCE the couch-sitting time.
    First, you skip over the commercials. So an hour-long show takes about 45-50 minutes to view.
    Second, you pause live TV. This means you can get up to answer the door/phone, change laundry, stir the pot, etc.
    Third, The on-screen guides let you search ahead or program a "record-every-day/week". This means you can work late, shop after work knowing that your favorite show will be recorded and you can come in and start from the begining even in the middle of the show.
    Fourth, With a DSS system, many shows come early. For example: You get to watch Smallville/Buffy/Gillmore girls at 8pm. My PVR starts recording these at 5pm from the East Coast feeds. By 6/6:30 when I get home, I've already got programs to watch. But I can take time to cook, run kids to events, etc., and FINISH all the shows by 9pm. With a VCR, you would have to wait until after 9pm to rewind the tape and START watching.
    So the PVR's really free you up to watch the shows WHEN you want at your convience. Your friend...it's not the Tivo unit thats the problem. [​IMG]

10. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Also, as I understand it, S-VHS will record any source in S-VHS mode, but you will still have composite artifacts (moire, dot-crawl, etc.) unless the signal is kept Y/C or seperate (the "S" in S-VHS) throughout the entire signal chain. Analog cable is only composite, so while you can see some of the benefits of S recording (namely increased luminance bandwidth), you still have some of the same aforementioned problems.

Hope that helps,

Christian

11. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

During my research(I wanted to know the same things),I had found that the cheaper players (Maybe sub $250) had a poor quality comb filter if one at all. Without it, it wont accurately seperate the signals for s-video.