S-VHS quality in EP mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Lawrence, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I'm looking to pick myself up my first S-VHS deck. I mostly intend to use it for time shifting programs off of DSS. My question is how well does S-VHS in EP mode compare to VHS in SP mode. Is it better, worse or about the same.

Right now I am using VHS tapes of T-120, T-160, & T-180 length and record everything in SP mode. While this would not be good enough for movies I wish to keep, I find it to be acceptable for timeshifting, But that limits me to one movie per tape. My hope is that I could get a S-VHS deck and achieve similair or better quality in extended play mode without having to change tapes when I have the timer set to record 3 movies.

What would be the best S-VHS deck in the $200- $325 range for this purpose?

For the record I will just state flat out that I have absolutely no interest in Tivo or anything like that at this present time.

2. Robert Fellows

Robert Fellows Stunt Coordinator

The picture is about the same...and is very dependent on the incoming signal, as would be expected.
    I have a JVC 7800, I think, and enjoy it thoroughly. Give http://www.pricescan.com/
    a try.

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Brian, I think the quality would be very similar. I have a Mistubishi HSU-795 and am very happy with the quality of recordings in the pure S-Video mode and even on S-ET mode.