S-VHS plays on VHS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Smith, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Extra

I work for a small TV network that shows a lot of public domain films. I had a gentleman bring me some P.D. movies on S-VHS. We don't have an S-VHS machine but he said our professional VHS players would work. I thought he was high but I tried it out. Well, he was right, and the films looked great. How is this?

2. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

3. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Many modern VHS players can playback S-VHS tapes in "quasi-S-VHS" mode. It doesn't give you the added resolution of S-VHS -- it just lets you watch the video at VHS resolution. Maybe your VHS player supports this playback mode?

4. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

Possibly, the signal was a VHS signal. Even though it was recorded on a SVHS tape. If so, it would play on any NTSC VHS deck, just not with SVHS quality.

5. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Extra

The tape was definitely an S-VHS tape and S-VHS dub (I've known this source for years and trust him), our decks are definitely not S-VHS. The picture looked a hell of a lot better than any VHS I've seen, at least 3/4 quality. I'm seriously thinking about transfering these puppies to BetaSP and airing them. I'll buy the "quasi S-VHS" explanation. But I can tell these are'nt run of the mill VHS.

One problem on one movie however. It's a b&w title and every few seconds I get a burst of red & blue pixelation. I dubbed it to BetaSP and turned the chroma off, yet I still see it. Any ideas?

6. Dave Preston

Dave Preston Extra

Most pro vhs machines will play svhs, but consumer vhs machines won't.

7. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

No. Not true. As stated before, a few companies (especially Sharp) makes consumer VHS decks with Quasi-SVHS playback.

This was answered already. Why is it so hard to beleive?

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Joe and Eric are correct.

9. Michael St. Clair

Searching MySimon's VCR category with 'quasi' returns many decks...including a JVC as cheap as $62. Some decks may not even be advertising the 'quasi' feature at this point.

10. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
    I bought my parents a cheap RCA VHS deck about 6 or 7 years ago and it played my S-VHS tapes (in VHS resolution) no problem. I bought a Samsung VHS deck a few years ago and it did not play SVHS tapes at all. So it depends on the unit.

My advice is to take a S-VHS tape to your dealer and try it.

George C.

11. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Or even better, just buy a low-end SVHS deck. I think JVC has one under $150 now.