S&V tests the Velodyne DD12

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shane Martin, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Here are his results from page 54:

78db at 20hz
    104db average SPL from 25 to 62
    109db Max SPL at 62hz

He also stated that the subs anticlipping circuits made it nearly impossible to drive it into audible distortion.

This was Tom Nousaines results.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but that doesn't seem all that impressive for a $3,000 subwoofer or am I wrong?

FWIW, It's not a specific review of said subwoofer but it was included with the Artisan Portrait Home Theater speakers.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Shane

The troubling stat is 78 db at 20Hz. There is only so much you can get out of a relatively small box with a 12 inch driver, and distortion limiting circuitry. Such a sub may be a fine choice for someone who demands little or no distortion, however, when output is a higher priority, many far less expensive subs can do 100 db or more at 20 Hz with relatively low distortion. SVS PB-2+ is a good example.

Of course the DD series has some fine extras like the equalizer and a versatile remote control. The DD-12 may be a fine sub for people who are more interested in music than movies.

Last. $3000 is the list price for the DD-12. Street price would be significantly lower.

A more intriguing test would be the DD-18, with a street price of $3,500 or less. Based on tests of previous 18 inch Velodynes, something on the order of 102 db @ 16HZ, 106 db @ 20Hz, and 112 db average from 25Hz to 63 Hz should be fairly close to the mark for the DD-18.

I suspect that I could be very happy with a DD-18, but that kind of performance and flexibility can be had for about half of the street price of the DD-18.

Artie

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Yeah, thay 20 Hz. part is kinda sucky. I always thought of Velodyne as a good cinema sub, and no responce at 20 Hz. is not a great sign.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I'm sure many of us would be happy with the DD-18 if it were given as a gift to us. Having to open our own wallets to make such a purchase is the hard part.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Arthur,
    I guess we could compare the DD12 results from S&V and the DD18 results from Hometheaterhifi but they are tested in 2 different environments. If Nouisane tests it in the same room then I think the results would be worth looking at.

Still the results of the DD18 in HThifi weren't earthshattering to me.

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Shane

I'd like to see the results of the test on the DD18. Do you know if the test results are available on-line?

Thanks

Artie

I found the test you mentioned on the Secrets of HiFi web site. The max output figures at 15 Hz and 20 HZ were not earthshaking, however, compared to the 78 db at 20Hz for the DD12, the 100db for the DD18 certainly puts the DD18 in another league from the DD12.

Artie