S&V Sunfire Ultimate Receiver Review-WOW

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Ross, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

From the "in the lab" test results:

Output at clipping(1khz into 8/4 ohms)
    1 channel driven...266/510W(24.3/27.1 dBW)
    5 channels driven...183W(22.6 dBW)

And its small: 17W X 5 3/4H X16 1/2D 32lbs

It also put out 255 watts per channel in stereo!!

Hoochie mama!!

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I heard the Sunfire Grand Theater 3 that should be close to the Ultimate Reciever. As far as the processor section is concerned at the CES show this past weekend in Las Vegas. I can say I was very impressed with the product interms of sounfeild, seperation and overall sound. Unfortunatly they did not have the Ultimate Reciever setup for there demonstration at CES. Denon was also there making a big showing with there 5803 flagship reciever and also showing off there new DVD/DVD-A/SACD player that should be out this summer. The 5803 was wired to M&K's if I remmember correctly and it was running a 4 ohm load. The reciever ran quite cool to the touch and was very impressive. Useing SACD, DVD-A and DVD movies to demonstrate the product. The video was routed to a $35,000 projector to show off the Denon's Capability. The 5803 uses a 100mhz video pass thru that is more than needed for HD video. Both Sunfire and Denon do a great job passing HD signals to there displays. For the CES show both companies used HD projectors to show off the best that these models could produce. Since Sunfire did not have the new reciever in there demo room. I can only asume that it would perform as good as the pre/pro. I am looking forward to hearing this reciever at a local retailer soon. The Denon how ever shined and was very flexible. The 5803 is completely flexable with its ability to assign amplifiers to other zones, eq slopes, assigning speaker set ups to individual surround modes (IE Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital and DTS) The 5803 handles DVD-A and SACD and reproduces a detailed and acurate reproduction of the formats. IMHO I would say that the two would be close depending on the features you like and what type of sound you prefere. For myself the Denon is still one of the top choices to replace my Yamaha RX-V995 reciever. Pioneer Elite, Rotel and Sunfire are being considered as well. For others out there looking to upgrade there systems you may want to look at the new Adcom line. Adcom showed off there new line up at CES and will be shipping the new line in wood crates instead of cardboard boxes. Adcom will have a very nice pre/pro as well. Like many of you I will be strugeling to pick my next reciever but you IMHO can not go wrong with ether Sunfire or Denon. Happy New Year everyone [​IMG]

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

4. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

High power, low weight amplifiers could also point to the use of 4G switch-mode power supplies, like those used by Chord and Linn.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit