S&V reviews Paradigm Studio v3

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin. W, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Just picked up the latest issue of S&V to find the Paradigm Studio 40v3 Home Theater System was reviewed. The seup consisted of 40's, CC570, ADP470 and Seismic 12 sub. Since I own the Studio 40(v3) and love the sound I wanted to know what a magazine reviewer had to say.

Kevin

2. Samuel J

Samuel J Auditioning

That sounds like every speaker review I've ever read in Sound and Vision Magazine.

3. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I had the Studio 60 v1 and they were pretty decent performers, too. You've got a pretty competent speaker system for sure.

It's hard for me to take reviews seriously just because like Samuel said, all reviews sound like that. Not to knock your 'digms, but read about Mirage, Def Tech, Monitor Audio, B+W and it reads the same way.

How many more times do we need to hear "outperforms competitors costing three times as much?"

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Good ol' fluff reporting. This is why I stopped reading DVD ETC altogether and only read SOUND & VISION for the "In the lab" results.

Which leads me to wonder, why can a major automotive magazin give a product a bad, or even scathing review (Such as Motorcyclist's "The only thing on the road slower than this Royal Enfield was a dead skunk", or Car & Driver's "The new Pontiac Aztek is so ugly I only test-drove it because they pay me to".) of a product and still manage to stay in business, but audio magazines in general seem to be so incapable of bad reviews they'd probably have given Joseph Stalin a good article?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

LOL. Ahhh, but the Studios do not fit into that category. When you move to 3x the cost of Studios, they are no longer competetive, IMO.

6. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I heard the Studio speakers...and yes they sound good. I owned Paradigm Monitors series speakers for over five years!!

But I bought Magnepan speakers....a complete change from the box sound of the Paradigms. MG1.6/QR (fronts), MGMC1 (surrounds), MGCC3 (center). The Magnepans are the real deal for the same bucks!!

I auditioned many speakers, and if I would have bought "BOX" speakers, for my money, I would have got the Wharfedale EVO-40 and it's corresponding speaker system.

BTW, my Paradigm PW-2200 sub is still in place with my maggies....I love it....but am thinking of a SVS!!

7. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I too like the sound of the studio series, in fact I am waiting on receiving my 100's, 40's and 570. [​IMG] But I don't really listen to reviews like this. It is the reviewers ears and not mine that listened to them. Do we have the same tastes and likes? Maybe, maybe not. I just go for what I like and fits my budget. [​IMG]

8. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

I can answer that for you. I work with every big shot car journalist in the midwest. I have most cars way before they are even available for sale. You see alot of those sneak peaks sometimes. They get them from me. Consider me the middle man between car manufacturers and media.

Now, imagine how this whole process goes. The manufacturers are NOT reguired to give the journalists any cars. They do so cause they have a good relationship with them. Not every journalist is allowed to drive every car. I have a list of whom I can give a certain car to. If a journalist is to slam a certain car, the car maker won't be happy and maybe no more cars for him. Also consider this. Most car journalists don't own a car. Why? Cause they get a new car every week from car makers. Yes, a brand new car, sometimes $100K worth of a nice car for daily driving. One got to go to South Africa to drive the McLaren. Most of the time they don't even review the car, just use it for daily driving or trips. If they get cut off that could present a big problem. Think about this, not only they have no car payments, but no repair bills, no maintnance bills, never having to wash a car, no worries if it breaks, no insurance bills, etc. They spend $0. Would you want to keep a good relationship and be nice?

I'm sure the same process goes for stereo journalists, except they get them shipped directly and there is probably no middle man. If they get no products to review, they got no job. They can of course buy the items and review them, but that can get expensive in a hurry.

So the bottom line is, only read the reviews by your peers. This is why I never bothered to buy any stereo magazines. You guys know way more then any mag can ever dream of. You guys own these things, and they have them for a few days.

Just like I know way more about most cars reviewed then some journalist. They don't know the repairs I have to go through and the 6 month loan lets me know the car way better then their 1 week trial.

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I had a chance to briefly read the latest S&V issue. I did check out the Paradigm review. Man, the center channel speaker weighs 45 Lbs. by itself - that's only 22 Lbs. less than the subwoofer in the package. Impressive.

I would love to hear these speakers. [​IMG]

10. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

*sigh* This is too true. Like has already been said, I only browse it for the lab tests. I turned down the option of getting a subscription to it for Christmas.