What's new

S&V review: Denon 2802 vs. Pioneer 850 vs Sony DB1070 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sound & Vision reviewed 3 mid-priced 6.1 receivers:

Denon AVR-2802

Pioneer VSX-D850S

Sony STR-DB1070

The short review: They picked the Denon over the other two, but the other two were pretty close, with the Sony offering more DSP modes. But the Denon got good marks for better implementation of LFE crossover filter behavior, and it has DPL II which impressed the reviewer.

The surprising measured stat was that the Sony only put out 31W for all channels driven, while the Denon put out 74W and the Pioneer put out 67. The overall difference is only about 3dB less output with the Sony, but given its nominal wattage output of 100W/ch is a bit misleading (But for just one channel driven, the numbers even up: Sony 1015W, Denon 124W, Pioneer 100W).

Anyhow, if you're remotely interest in any of these 3 receivers, you might want to get the new December issue of S&V and read the rest of their review.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, the power measurement of the Sony 'DB1070 with all channels driven is disappointing, though that doesn't necessarily equate with poor sound. I view the DB receivers as a good value, but the ES receivers are where it's at as far as Sony is concerned. Denon has just one line of receivers, and I would expect them all to be good given Denon's reputation and the lack of class distinction there. With Sony, however, one really should look at the ES models. There is a thread here saying that the new Sony STR-DA3ES is much more impressive in terms of build quality than last year's STR-V444ES. How the 'DA3ES sounds is another matter and remains to be heard.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Gordon,

I believe the three digit Denon's are (as far as I know) the same as the four digit ones. Hence, the 1802 (80wpc) that I own is also the 882. I think Denon have assigned two different model numbers (like Yamaha) perhaps to designate different regions. The current entry level AVR is the 1602 (70wpc), which I believe is also known as the 682.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gordon, I was only considering the well-known and most prevalent Denon line consisting of the AVR-1602, '1802, '2802, '3802, '4802, and '5800. The point is that Sony does not have one line of receivers with so many models built to a high standard. Sure the Denon '1602 is no '5800 since it is much cheaper, but Denon doesn't distinguish the '5800 from the '1602 by assigning the former to a fancy line. Sony distinguishes its receivers based on where they are sold and the model numbers assigned. For example, you can buy the Sony STR-DE975 at Circuit City, but not the STR-DB1070 or STR-DA5ES. The 'DB1070 and 'DA5ES are available at Tweeter, but some better dealers will only sell the ES models. Denon doesn't sell anything at Circuit City or Best Buy. I am surprised that Denon sells gear at Sears though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks