What's new

S&V Grading of BD Studios in '08 (so far). (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I haven't authored a 2 hour blu-ray yet. So far my stuff has been limited to short subjects. However an AVC encode of a 10min short with an average bit rate of 25mbps and a peak of 39mbps and a standard DD 5.1 track at 448, takes up between 2.5 and 3 gigs. At that rate a 2 hour movie would take up around 30 to 35 gigs. And that is with out lossless audio. It also includes no menus, second audio tracks, logos, FBI warnings or even the necessary structure that is required for a BD to be able to play.

Now a VC-1 encode would be somewhat more efficient, but that gives you a ballpark figure. Of course you could reduce the bitrate, but depending on the material, the image quality may suffer.

Doug

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
The sad part though is that The Thing was actually re-encoded at a higher bitrate for the BD25 release. If Universal had simply taken the lazy route and ported over the HD DVD encode we could have had it all, including extras and the DTS-HD MA still would have fit.

I have zero problem with re-encoding at higher bitrates, but this just defeats the purpose.

It boggles the mind.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks