Pre-Order S.O.S. Titanic (1979) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I know nothing about this film. Looks like it was a made for television film- it was nominated for 1 prime time Emmy.

Ken Koc

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ken Koc
David Warner was in this version and the 97 version ....a surprising role in the first. James Cameron surely saw SOS Titanic and was inspired by certain elements of that film.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
David Warner was in this version and the 97 version ....a surprising role in the first. James Cameron surely saw SOS Titanic and was inspired by certain elements of that film.
I see you have since edited your original post (which I quoted and questioned) but have not clarified it any further. What elements proprietary to SOS Titanic do you feel “inspired” Cameron?

First you say “James Cameron clearly used many things from SOS Titanic in Titanic.

Then you edit your post to say “James Cameron surely saw SOS Titanic and was inspired by certain elements of that film”.
:blink:

Last edited:

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
My edit was better phrased . What they are....that is for you to discover.
Actually you made the claim so the onus is on you. Unless of course you cannot answer because it is a baseless claim. And I’m not trying to give you a hard time. I was genuinely curious. Was.:D

Ken Koc

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ken Koc
Actually you made the claim so the onus is on you. Unless of course you cannot answer because it is a baseless claim. And I’m not trying to give you a hard time. I was genuinely curious. Was.:D
I don't know you. I know nothing of your life experience. Why would I give you...a stranger ...my thoughts. You are being unecessarily mean spirited.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I don't know you. I know nothing of your life experience. Why would I give you...a stranger ...my thoughts. You are being unecessarily mean spirited.
I asked you a simple question which you refused to answer. If you think that’s being “mean spirited” or I’m trying to pry into your private thoughts then I don’t know what to tell you. This is a forum
for discussion ya know. Every post you make is giving everyone here your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Anyway...

Here’s some SOS Titanic Trivia

This is the first feature length Titanic movie made in color.

David Warner also appeared in Time Bandits (1981) (which features a scene aboard the Titanic) and Titanic (1997).

Many scenes were filmed on-board, or around, the famous R.M.S. Queen Mary.

Re-edit of the two hour and twenty minute television movie, this is the version that was released theatrically in some countries, and is now widely available on DVD. The original television version has never had an official release anywhere. On July 23, 2020, Kino Lorber announced that they would be releasing both the theatrical and extended cut on Blu-ray in October 13, 2020.

This movie was the first of two Titanic movies about R.M.S. Titanic in less than a year, this movie debuting eleven months before Raise the Titanic (1980).

The late Norman Rossington appeared in this movie as the Master-at-Arms, and in A Night to Remember (1958) as the 3rd class Chief Hall Steward, who has a hard time communicating with some of the non-English speaking passengers.

Cinematographer Christopher Challis, reflected in his autobiography on the making of this movie: He thought A Night to Remember (1958) "excellent", and felt the eight week shooting schedule for this movie: inadequate, when compared to the five months A Night to Remember (1958) took to film.

The Titanic survivors are rescued by R.M.S. Carpathia, which is commanded by Arthur Rostron, played by Philip Stone, who previously voiced Theoden in The Lord of the Rings (1978). In Titanic (1997), the Captain of the Titanic, Edward John Smith, was played by Bernard Hill, who played Theoden in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003). The latter movie also featured Sir Ian Holm.

During filming, the ship used was painted on one side as the "Titanic", and the other as the "Carpathia" (the ship that rescued the Titanic survivors).

First movie of Robert Pugh (James Farrell).

David Warner and Sir Ian Holm appeared in movies in which they played Jack the Ripper. Warner in Time After Time (1979) and Holm in From Hell (2001).

Cloris Leachman previously played Margaret Brown in the anthology series Telephone Time (1956) season two, episode twenty-two, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown".

Timothy Spall, who played Jim, had his performance deleted in post-production.

Closing credits epilogue: The Titanic sank with two thousand two hundred twenty passengers and crew. One thousand five hundred seventeen perished, seven hundred three survived.

Christopher Strauli says, on his website, he was originally cast as Laurence Beesley, but this was changed when an older actress was cast as Beesley's love interest. Strauli was cast in a more minor role.

Goof, not a point of trivia. Dame Helen Mirren is standing in the lifeboat that J. Bruce Ismay (Sir Ian Holm) enters. In the next scene, she is in the 1st class lounge talking to Mr. Andrews (Geoffrey Whitehead).

The ship's title "R.M.S." stands for Royal Mail Ship, a designation that shows the vessel can carry mail under contract to the British Royal Mail. As of 2020 with the mass air transportation of mail, there are only three ships left in service with this title. RMS Segwun, built in 1887 and restored in the late 70's, provides short excursions near Ontario, Canada. The RMS Queen Mary 2 was bestowed with the title in 2004 to acknowledge Cunard's history and the third ship is the RMV Scillionian III, the V standing for vessel. Launched in 1977, this ship sails between Penzance and the Isles of Scilly, off SW England, still providing a vital link for passengers and freight.

On March 25, 1979 during the filming in London, David Janssen, playing John Jacob Astor, was not able to work to shoot a few scenes because of fatigue and slight chest pains, which shut down production for the day. After two days, he was able to resume filming and completed the rest of his scenes without incident in London, Isle of Man and in Los Angeles. This incident, not made public at the time, was the first indication of his failing health and of a possible heart condition.

Sir Ian Holm also appeared in Alien (1979), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), and The Aviator (2004). Titanic was directed by James Cameron and featured Bill Paxton and Jenette Goldstein, who all worked on Aliens (1986). It also featured Bernard Hill, who also appeared in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), in a role previously played by Philip Stone. Leonardo DiCaprio also appeared with Holm in The Aviator (2004), and in a role previously portrayed by Jason Robards, Jr., who had appeared in Raise the Titanic (1980).

Sir Ian Holm and David Warner appeared in Time Bandits (1981).

Bryan^H

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I'll give this a shot. I have watched entirely one 'Titanic' movie in my life, and I hated it with a fiery passion.

Hope this fares better.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
I may just blind buy this one. I love both A Night to Remember and Cameron’s Titanic. I’ve heard good things about this one before, so I’ll bite.

Reactions: Tino

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
I don’t think I’ve seen this film often since it’s original television premiere. I remember being really impressed with it at the time. I hope it holds up.

Reactions: Tommy R

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gr8Dane