What's new

S.O.B. - coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
View media item 3775BLAKE EDWARDS' S.O.B. (1981)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
BD50
COLOR - 121 Minutes
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 MONO-English
English SDH

SPECIAL FEATURES:
Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Felix Farmer’s (Richard Mulligan) latest movie flops – and lots of Hollywood types spring into action. Agents are called. Lawyers are retained. Statements are issued. It’s what master comedy director Blake Edwards calls “Standard Operating Bull,” the subject of his gleefully satiric S.O.B.

Julie Andrews is a wholesome superstar about to alter her image…radically. Aiding and abetting the madness are William Holden, Robert Preston, Robert Vaughn, Shelley Winters, Loretta Swit and more. Dialogue crackles like fat in a fire, gags range from dead-on deadpan to comedic broadsides, insights bristle and sting. Nothing standard here: S.O.B. is extraordinary.

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Excellent!

Coincidentally, something made me think of it the other day and I took the DVD off the shelf so I'd remember to watch it. Might as well wait!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Oh yes! With four releases a month there's always something for me. January, Bad Day At Black Rock, Battleground -February, The Yakuza, The Boy Friend - March, S.O.B. Blake Edwards' pitch black look at Hollywood, & very funny.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Richard Mulligan is an underrated actor. His performance in LITTLE BIG MAN as the Trump-like narcissist General Custer is a delight, as was his role in the SOAP t.v. series. I think he delivers his best performance in SOB. I can actually imagine that Hollywood could drive a person to the edge as it does for his character in this film. Apparently the movie business does this on a regular basis, so I guess I'm not regretful that I never became a part of that culture.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This and Finian's Rainbow are Day One purchases for me*, and it's appropriate they're getting released on the same day; the latter was one of the better of the late 1960s Hollywood musicals, and this was the inevitable aftermath of the radical changes to Hollywood in the late 1960s and early 1970s when the ratings system replaced the Production Code, including the backlash against big-budget musicals in favor of smaller-budgeted, supposedly more adult (to their minds meaning "inappropriate for children") fare. Blake Edwards wrote the script around 1973 after the box-office failure of Paramount's Darling Lili (which he later made shorter!) and after a nearly destitute M-G-M under James Aubrey—the late Robert Vaughn's character acts like a cross between him and Robert "the former Mr. Ali MacGraw" Evans—denied him final cut privilege on two movies: Wild Rovers and The Carey Treatment; I think he even took the studio to court over the second one. But by the time the movie was actually made, and Julie Andrews' own movie musicals were starting to come to home video**, the pendulum started to swing again back towards blockbuster type movies but in wide release everywhere at once. The following year saw Hollywood release more musicals than any time since the 1960s, including Victor/Victoria.

Ironically, considering their disagreement over how long Lili should be started it all, Paramount actually released the film to theaters in its original release; Lorimar, whose logo was on the laserdisc but not the DVD, had a bunch of different distributors for their theatrical output. They also had produced The Tamarind Seed, one of Andrews' few 1970s film roles, which Avco Embassy distributed originally but its co-producer ITC ended up with the rights to.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Universal announced Thoroughly Modern Millie in the next couple months.***

*And the same year Julie Andrews was showing, in Johnny Carson's words, that "the hills are still alive," Petula Clark was playing Maria in The Sound of Music on the West End.
**Some took longer than others. Star! didn't come out until the 1990s. Additionally, a lot of "controversial" 20th Century Fox movies from that era got Magnetic Video releases during the pre-News Corporation Marvin Davis/Dennis Stanfill years only to disappear until the 1990s and 2000s; even Myra Breckinridge warranted a VHS release in 1981!
***The closest Mary Tyler Moore got to this was defending the merits of the Wonderbra in Flirting With Disaster.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Did the vile Joyce Haber ever publicly comment on the (I'm sure satisfying and cathartic) punishment Edwards handed her by having Loretta Swit's character wind up in a full body cast? I've never seen any...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks