What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (2 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed last night's episode. The show obviously has some roots in the action shows of the 70s, with their caper of the week stories, but also has its own mythology shaping up. Here's hoping the show continues to find the right balance between the two.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
First episode that completely worked for me.An opposition agency.Fun wisecracks "damnit, they gave him a name."And some great back and forth. This is (IMHO) the best this show has been, hopefully it has found solid footing

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
At least all the irritation about the mole among them is now over. The show can take this strong episode and move forward from there.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
We're now supposed to be led further down the season in the big season-arc question, "WHO is behind 'Centipede'?"

While the more pertinent question would be "If Avengers-movie fans are meant to be watching the show, who didn't already have it pretty much called twenty minutes into the pilot episode?" :rolleyes:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ejanss said:
We're now supposed to be led further down the season in the big season-arc question, "WHO is behind 'Centipede'?"

While the more pertinent question would be "If Avengers-movie fans are meant to be watching the show, who didn't already have it pretty much called twenty minutes into the pilot episode?" :rolleyes:
Called what? I enjoyed Avengers but I guess I have no idea where the Centipede plot line is going.. then again, I don't read comics, so I have no connective material.. should it be that obvious?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The show has definitely been getting better with each episode. I thought last week's was quite good and tonight's was the best yet. Seems like its finding its footing. I certainly think it is cool that further development of Extremis is an ongoing arc of the show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have very little backstory on any of the characters or concepts, so I'm coming into this series new. I thought last night's episode was the best thus far. I liked learning more about Rising Tide, and I'm pleased that Skye's hand was forced to the extent that it was with regard to her allegiances.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If this is the show finding its footing, it's probably time for me to step off. When Skye said nothing would stop her from digging, she should have been dropped down a dark hole. I just don't hold the same admiration for hacktivists that the show does. Also, why did the Scorched doctor have to look exactly like Fitz (or Simmons)? That was confusing for a second.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Greg_S_H said:
If this is the show finding its footing, it's probably time for me to step off. When Skye said nothing would stop her from digging, she should have been dropped down a dark hole. I just don't hold the same admiration for hacktivists that the show does. Also, why did the Scorched doctor have to look exactly like Fitz (or Simmons)? That was confusing for a second.
Yeah. Whedon and others have made their feelings on Hacktivism pretty well known, they've spoken about how they feel about Aaron Swartz, etc. so I wasn't surprised to see that brought up; in the movie Avengers, Tony Stark hacked SHIELD in order to show they weren't all nice and were developing weapons technologies.

I think if that element of the public interest piercing the veil bothers you, I seriously doubt this show is going to move in any direction to make it less so.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying the show, it is not must see but I have a lot of DVR space so I'll save and watch a couple of episodes at a time.I'm a little concerned that it keeps dropping in the key demo ratings but hopefully it will stop declining and find a solid fan base.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Scorch's Cantonese was just awful. The exchange between him and May was the most humorous.

May: [There's no going back!]

Scorch: [I don't plan to change the topic!]

Well, actually, you just did change the topic because you botched the pronunciation, dude! :lol:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Cameron, thanks for sharing. I would never have known her father was Chinese. In some pictures you can see it and others not so much.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I had no idea either until whedonesque posted it. I thought she was part Latino. :-D

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm kind of surprised that you guys liked this past episode. I thought Eye See You was actually good but Scorch (or whatever they titled it) was a huge step back. I cringed so much. Maybe the girl in the bra and panties Jedi Mind Tricked you into thinking it was good?

So was the Scorch actor Mandarin speaking or was that almost incomprehensible accent fake as well? I remember growing up and listening to Japanese-American actors being cast as villagers or whatnot mangling the Korean dialog all the time, so I get you, Cameron.

I can't remember the last time I gave this much rope to a new show. I really, really want to like it. It's crushingly disappointing.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My wife suspected he was a native Japanese speaker. A native Mandarin speaker would have a different accent than what we heard when he was speaking both English and Cantonese.But based on his Wikipedia article he's an American of Japanese and Taiwanese descent, born in New York. So he might have been creating the English accent for the role.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I looked up the cast after the series premiere and was surprised about Chloe too. In some shots she does not look Asian, and in others she does. Which is funny because I thought it was either on purpose or a coincidence an earlier poster compared her to Kristen Kruek whose also half Chinese. I thought both Ming Na and the Scorch actor's Cantonese sounded unnaturally spoken. Probably just due to having to learn it, or out of practice. I don't know if Ming Na knows Chinese or not.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Nelson Au said:
Which is funny because I thought it was either on purpose or a coincidence an earlier poster compared her to Kristen Kruek whose also half Chinese.
It was on purpose because of the coincidence. Plus, they are both terrible actors. Only tangentially related -- Dean Cain is half Japanese.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought both Ming Na and the Scorch actor's Cantonese sounded unnaturally spoken. Probably just due to having to learn it, or out of practice. I don't know if Ming Na knows Chinese or not.
Ming Na does know Cantonese, but – like me – bears the marks of being an ABC (American Born Chinese) or someone who came over to the US when very young. Her Canto was way better than Louis Ozawa Changchien's; she at least showed some base understanding of the pronunciation and tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks