What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Last night was another solid episode. I loved the humor when Coulsen threw the file cabinet out the window. I agree they're setting up Ward to be rehabbed, which would be unfortunate. If they do that, the actor has to leave the show since the character has to go to jail. But they'll have him sell out Garrett or something or undermine Hyrda somehow.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I'm not sure how fast that jet was going, but assuming a couple hundred miles per hour, jettisoning Fitz and Simmons would make their deaths fairly certain. Hitting the water at that speed would probably turn them into sludge.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Dheiner said:
I'm not sure how fast that jet was going, but assuming a couple hundred miles per hour, jettisoning Fitz and Simmons would make their deaths fairly certain. Hitting the water at that speed would probably turn them into sludge.
But it was a Shield designed room/container with a built-in inertia dampening device :)

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
No way they killed off Fitz Simmons. I am worried that Ward will be redeemed. He could be the perfect arch enemy in future seasons if done right

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Young Ward looked nothing like current Ward. Seems like they could have found a young actor that had a bit closer resemblance to Brett Dalton. Or perhaps there's a plastic surgery clinic out in the woods somewhere.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I kinda thought Bill Paxton was brought in for a short run of episodes, so I expected Garrett to die. But after last night, maybe he will be back badder then before. Maybe Bill is having a good time. As for Ward, there is good in him, as Luke said of Darth Vader. I expect Ward will die doing something good to save Skye. But he will not be redeemed. Last night's episode for me was about showing Ward has that weakness. Or perhaps Ward is banished from Hydra and goes off on his own. Not part of either Hydra or Shield, just out there.I noticed at the end of Turn, Turn, Turn, how the show's logo at the end no longer says Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. When they do the previews. Coulsen just says, Will return after this. I thought that was cool.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Dheiner said:
I think it was in Harrier mode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even if they survived the landing, they'd very quickly suffocate or drown, depending on whether or not the compartment was watertight or not.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson Au said:
I noticed at the end of Turn, Turn, Turn, how the show's logo at the end no longer says Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. When they do the previews. Coulsen just says, Will return after this. I thought that was cool.
I feel like they've sometimes said it, sometimes not, at various points in the season. I was gonna say I guess I'll double-check when the Blu-ray comes out, but I have a feeling those will be left off.

BTW, I agree with everyone else who's expressed the sentiment that if Ward is somehow redeemed and brought back to the team, I think I'm done with the show. One of the things I've liked about how the show has grown in the lead-up to Captain America 2 and afterwards is how actions and events have consequences -- and getting Ward back on the team and redeeming him would fly in the face of that. At this point, Deathlok is more redeemable (at least he was being forced to work for Hydra and not doing it of his own free will).

Kinda seems like they're working towards a Ward for Tripplett casting switcheroo.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It would be a stretch for Ward to be welcomed back to the team. I could see him possibly going off and doing his own thing, being an antagonist, an occasional obstacle, an occasional reluctant ally because of overlapping interests, etc...But him going back to being "on the team" would be lame. Of course, down the line, I could see him as someone they occasionally need to work with. It's actually pretty common in spy stories to have protagonists working with someone they hate or distrust out of need and common interests. Just throwing it out there, I wonder how people would feel about Natasha Romanov being an Avenger if they knew specifics about the terrible things she's done?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sean Bryan said:
Just throwing it out there, I wonder how people would feel about Natasha Romanov being an Avenger if they knew specifics about the terrible things she's done?
I think she'd probably get a free pass from most, because we don't see her betraying her current teammates. We know her as a member of the Avengers first and foremost (in the movies at least), so as long as she doesn't do anything to hurt the members of that team, I think audiences are likely to forgive her anything that happened before we met her.

Speaking of betrayals... I really enjoyed the Captain America: Winter Soldier movie... but it would have meant a little more to me had Fury been betrayed by someone we had actually met before that movie. The people he didn't trust in the movie are the same we don't trust, and part of that is we've had multiple movies to establish who the good guys are, so when someone new is added to the fold (like Robert Redford), it seems obvious from the beginning who will be the bad guy. Gotta give SHIELD credit for having Ward for this purpose -- that Bill Paxton went from good guy to bad doesn't do anything for me emotionally since we met him for all of one or two episodes before he was revealed to be the bad guy, but having Ward turn has led to a lot of great tension on the show.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Josh Steinberg said:
Speaking of betrayals... I really enjoyed the Captain America: Winter Soldier movie... but it would have meant a little more to me had Fury been betrayed by someone we had actually met before that movie. The people he didn't trust in the movie are the same we don't trust, and part of that is we've had multiple movies to establish who the good guys are, so when someone new is added to the fold (like Robert Redford), it seems obvious from the beginning who will be the bad guy. Gotta give SHIELD credit for having Ward for this purpose -- that Bill Paxton went from good guy to bad doesn't do anything for me emotionally since we met him for all of one or two episodes before he was revealed to be the bad guy, but having Ward turn has led to a lot of great tension on the show.
While its not the same as having a major character betrayal, Agent Sitwell has been around for a while. He was in Thor and The Avengers. And he was in two Marvel One Shots, including being the lead SHIELD character in 'Item 47' on the Avengers BD. And, of course, he was in several episodes of AoS. So I guess his being part of Hydra was the biggest betrayal from established MCU characters. I was kind of hoping that the story would have had a Natasha betrayal in order to infiltrate Hydra which would have played out through Age of Ultron and Cap 3 with audiences wondering about her true agenda (like viewers had wondered about Ward). I was actually expecting it considering the character, the subject matter, and story lines from the comics and animated shows.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Poster for the finale
image.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sean Bryan said:
While its not the same as having a major character betrayal, Agent Sitwell has been around for a while. He was in Thor and The Avengers. And he was in two Marvel One Shots, including being the lead SHIELD character in 'Item 47' on the Avengers BD. And, of course, he was in several episodes of AoS. So I guess his being part of Hydra was the biggest betrayal from established MCU characters.
True. And that was something -- it definitely helped in the world of the show, because he was frequently Coulson's contact outside the team.

I'm not saying I wanted the Maria Hill character to go bad (truth be told, I don't think there's much of a character there), but I think it might have meant more to me watching the movie had she turned. Or if one or more of the nameless "giant floating heads" council from Avengers was on the bad list. Frankly, I'm not sure that they had enough non-super hero characters set up where one could have flipped. Coulson could have been a candidate (if he hadn't been killed, if he didn't then have his own show), because it would have really sent home that feeling of betrayal that someone we in the audience genuinely liked and trusted turned out to be bad. That's Fury's reality, that's Cap's reality, that people they did know and like flipped. But in terms of who they had available to flip to show the audience, there really wasn't one except for the minor Sitwell character and characters introduced solely in the new film.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
With Flowers saying that Skye's parents were monsters - any thoughts about her being Skrull?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks