What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,I too believe she was calling Fury. I think Melinda will be fine within the organization and that Fury will take care of this situation.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If Melinda May was reporting to the bad guys within S.H.I.E.L.D., I think it's pretty clear that she didn't know they were the bad guys.However this whole thing shakes out with the insurrection, it's pretty clear that May's going to wind up on Coulson's side.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Adam,Is there any chance that May knew they were the bad guys within S.H.I.E.L.D. and that she was setting them up all along and couldn't let Coulson know what she knew? I don't know if there is any credence to this, it's just a thought. And I don't know to what end (just in case you ask me).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Thought this was pretty cool.
image.jpg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Anyone who watches this show NEEDS to see The Winter Soldier this weekend. There's really no way to discuss the potential future direction of the story without discussing the film. Wowzers!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Pretty much Sean. I also think the film makes a lot of key elements of the last about 6 episodes and some of the earlier ones take on a very, very different tone.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
mattCR said:
Pretty much Sean. I also think the film makes a lot of key elements of the last about 6 episodes and some of the earlier ones take on a very, very different tone.
A couple weeks ago, I had no intention of buying a season set and revisiting the show - I like it enough, it's okay, it's a pleasant diversion - but after seeing the movie, I'm a lot more interested in rewatching the show.

Movie-spoiler-show-related-speculative-question (don't click if you haven't seen the Winter Soldier movie):
So, do we think the Clairvoyant may have been Dr. Zola (Toby Jones)? That would fit with what we've gotten from the show and the movie. Although I guess the preview from last week's episode suggests it could be Agent Hand, which is somehow far less interesting to me.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Josh,Movie spoiler:
I think that is a distinct possibility, seeing as how the Zola Algorithm was able to predict future threats. Or it may be an upper level SHIELD/HYDRA agent, like Hand, that had access to Zola

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
After seeing the Winter Soldier (which I really liked), this show has some 'splaining to do.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Movie spoiler and speculation about the future of the show:
So the intent by Cap was to bring the whole thing down. It was too compromised and needed to be wiped clean. Revealing the infiltration and corruption, along with releasing all of SHIELD's secrets to the public has certainly devastated SHIELD. What I'm wondering is how can an organization that large and powerful just "go away" without significant issues? Considering all of the infrastructure, bases, weapons and tech that was part of SHIELD, that stuff is not going to just sit there. There are secret research labs and prisons (like where Gravitron is being held) that still need to run, the prisons especially. There's no way the Government won't start to rebuild a new organization. Yes, better freedom and chaos than order under Hydra's control with the "trouble makers" snuffed out, but the government still needs to monitor and deal with "super threats". It's likely that this factors into the creation of the Ultron project. But I think someone is going to step in to keep the basic infrastructure going, and that will probably be the military. Since the Hydra infiltration was so pervasive, it is likely that all SHIELD agents will be rounded up and evaluated. And the Government is still unlikely to trust anyone who was part of the organization. So regardless of the specifics of what happens with the immediate situation in the show, I wouldn't be surprised if going forward Coulson and his team wind up operating as a rogue team that is hunted by the military.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Josh Steinberg said:
A couple weeks ago, I had no intention of buying a season set and revisiting the show - I like it enough, it's okay, it's a pleasant diversion - but after seeing the movie, I'm a lot more interested in rewatching the show.
I've had the exact same feeling about the show. It's interesting (but not exactly surprising) that the show would get more compelling as it approaches the Captain America film. It still hasn't gotten to "I want to own this" status for me, since so far it just amounts to last week's episode and probably the remaining ones, but given the right price point down the road...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
I think he is now a double agent infiltrating Hydra.
That's what I'm afraid of, but I really hope not. This was a game changing event that shook the entire Marvel universe. If over half of S.H.I.E.L.D. was Hydra, than it's statistically highly probable that at least one of Coulson's team is Hydra. If Garrett's the only character we're familiar with that turns out to be Hydra, it's too safe and it's too easy. The scene where Ward murdered Hand and her two associates in cold blood was the most exciting the show's ever been and the most exciting his character's ever been.

If Ward dies a Hydra traitor, the show's completely won back my interest. If Ward's a double agent or turns out to have second thoughts as he yearns for Skye, I'll know the show's back to pulling its punches.

Coulson's the center of the show, Fitz and Simmons both work as characters and serve integral functions on the team. May is revealed as the shadow behind the throne that made all of the most crucial decisions and just let Coulson think he was in charge, a flagrant betrayal that inherently makes her character interesting. They've Mary Sued Skye almost beyond repair, but they've invested too much in the mythology surrounding her past to dump her now.

And then there's Ward: his fight skill set is duplicated by May, he's a wooden character that's like Bond without the charm or dry humor. Of the team, he's easily the most expendable, and killing him off as a traitor is the single most interesting thing they could do with him.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't see how they can sell Ward as a double agent. He just killed 3 or 4 SHIELD agents, if you don't count pilots or anyone else on that flight. Being a double agent and killing everyone would be a hard sell.
If he stays a real factor of HYDRA, this is interesting. And, much more believable. The lab geeks were not real Hydra targets.. low-level science agents that Hydra figures they'd manipulate at the end. Skye wasn't part of SHIELD.. Coulson was out of it so not a target, which means either May or Ward should be a servant of Hydra.. if it's Ward, this show has a lot of great potential.. even if he dies off.

I love that the took big gambles, big action and a lot of punch tonight. Best scripted ep of the bunch.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Adam I can't disagree with any of that. And who is Mary Sue.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The was a sort of wink and or a nod between Coulson and Ward as they were headed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks