What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Ok, wait. Did I understand correctly from last nights episode...:

...that Skye is an 084? Is she going to have super powers or something?

I'm quite curious as to how they will play that out.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm quite curious as to how they will play that out.
Me too. I enjoyed last night's show -- I like how the rest of the team is getting more things to do.

It seems fashionable to bash the show, but I've enjoyed it all along. I like how it harkens back to some 70s adventure shows.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I'm surprised I haven't commented on this yet. There again, I haven't wandered out of the Blu Ray Forums yet. Anyhow, I'm the type of guy who watches very few if any TV shows during the course of a year. I'm much more a movie person. Anyhow, I've seen every episode so far of this show and love it. The cast does a good job and the show is mostly fun, with very little gore. Others have commented that it reminds them of a 70s or 80s action show, and that may be why I like it so much. Of course, it's a lot better (to me anyway) than most of those 70s and 80s action shows that I grew up on. Knight Rider didn't seem to age too well and the less said about The Dukes of Hazzard, the better. But I think this one may have legs--and not just on the gals. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm really liking the new slightly darker track this is taking so far. I think we could be on the right foot, and we're not about to introduce people of semi-power it appears.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Todd J Moore said:
Of course, it's a lot better (to me anyway) than most of those 70s and 80s action shows that I grew up on. Knight Rider didn't seem to age too well and the less said about The Dukes of Hazzard, the better.
Totally disagree with you about your statement above.

Most of those '70s and '80s action shows were as good or better than this show or even some other more modern shows of the current era. As to the Dukes of Hazzard, I have always LOVED that show and still do. It's a real classic, especially if you were a young teen at that time. No one compared to Daisy Duke and the General Lee was what every young man wanted to own. In fact, you will find one at almost every good car show that draws a lot of interest from the crowd. I love the theme song too and have it on my iTunes Playlist, still humm it to this day.

This show is like watching a bunch of kids jet setting around the world in their super jet with no real interest. To me, it seems like the shows from back then had their character much more defined, even if cartoon like in nature. If SHIELD had more interesting characters like the A-Team or Dukes, then I'd think different of the show.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Jeffery_H said:
Totally disagree with you about your statement above.

Most of those '70s and '80s action shows were as good or better than this show or even some other more modern shows of the current era. As to the Dukes of Hazzard, I have always LOVED that show and still do. It's a real classic, especially if you were a young teen at that time. No one compared to Daisy Duke and the General Lee was what every young man wanted to own. In fact, you will find one at almost every good car show that draws a lot of interest from the crowd. I love the theme song too and have it on my iTunes Playlist, still humm it to this day.

This show is like watching a bunch of kids jet setting around the world in their super jet with no real interest. To me, it seems like the shows from back then had their character much more defined, even if cartoon like in nature. If SHIELD had more interesting characters like the A-Team or Dukes, then I'd think different of the show.
A buddy of mine and I met Catherine Bach about 7 years ago or so. We decided we wanted to try watching the series of Dukes of Hazzard after that. We separately made to about halfway through the second season and just couldn't take it anymore. Yes, the car was cool, Daisy was hot, and James Best was hilarious as Roscoe. But that wasn't enough since every episode felt the same. Ultra-Man and the 67 Spider-Man cartoon suffered from the same thing.

This show has a story I can actually get into. Maybe years from now I'll look back and--as with Dukes---think "what the hell was I thinking?" but I'm hoping not. I'd like to think that at 43 I have somewhat better taste than at 10.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Reading this thread way late since we don't get episodes out here as soon as they are broadcast in the US...

Nelson Au said:
As another ABC, I would agree. I just didn't know if Ms Na was raised on Mandarin or Cantonese. And apologies for my digression from the series. :)
As an ABC surely you should know, it's Ms Wen -- her full name is Wen Ming Na, or Ming-Na Wen when turned around to fit western convention, and somewhere along the way for some reason or other she starting using just "Ming-Na" as her stage name.

(OT: Chin Han, who has been gaining some traction recently starting with a small role in The Dark Knight, then a recurring one in Last Resort and most recently a guest appearance on the Blacklist, is a Singaporean actor whose full name is Ng Chin Han -- he dropped his surname "Ng" in the stage name he uses in the US. No doubt because nobody in the US is going to pronounce his surname correctly...)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Yee-Ming said:
Reading this thread way late since we don't get episodes out here as soon as they are broadcast in the US...

As an ABC surely you should know, it's Ms Wen -- her full name is Wen Ming Na, or Ming-Na Wen when turned around to fit western convention, and somewhere along the way for some reason or other she starting using just "Ming-Na" as her stage name.

(OT: Chin Han, who has been gaining some traction recently starting with a small role in The Dark Knight, then a recurring one in Last Resort and most recently a guest appearance on the Blacklist, is a Singaporean actor whose full name is Ng Chin Han -- he dropped his surname "Ng" in the stage name he uses in the US. No doubt because nobody in the US is going to pronounce his surname correctly...)
Win!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Yee-Ming said:

I just call her Ms. Terrible Actress.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
We've had a lot of quotes and tidbits from ABC chief Paul Lee from the 2014 TCA's on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the potential Agent Carter spinoff. One morsel of content that seems to have slipped through the cracks is Lee's comments on the difference between the Marvel programming on ABC and the upcoming Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones shows that will stream on Netflix. THR recapped Lee's comments on the subject, saying ABC's Marvel shows are for a "bigger and broader audience" while the Netflix shows are for the hardcore "super fan". In my mind, that translates, "The Netflix shows are going to be awesome, the ABC shows are watered down in an effort to appeal to the masses." Which is a flawed thought-process as there's certainly nothing watered down about the Marvel Cinematic Universe which is what captured the attention of the masses in the first place.Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/movienewsandreviews/news/?a=93126#FozRvuLeWfcQTpsh.99

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I always liked the Dearhlok character but not many know who he is. Maybe now is the time for me to sell the first appearance comic. ;^)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
By the way, J. August Richards' character's name is Mike Peterson. The Deathlok wiki article. Luther Manning was the original Deathlok in comics (1974) and later (1990) there was Michael Collins. In 1999 there was another who was a SHIELD agent (Jack Truman).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I know people are of different minds where this show is concerned, but man, tonight is really good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I liked the splintered storytelling with the same time frame being shown three or four times but always from different points of view of the team. Some nice surprises. Loved Fitz tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks