What's new

?'s about TIVO and other non vhs recording systems (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Now my major question is, what happens when a program like super bowl or any sporting event runs over time. I can't stand when I tape an episode of the simpsons on synndication and I miss the end of the episode since the local station is known to start them a little late. Can anyone help and also, which is the best to buy.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
TiVo is no different from any recording system: If the station does something unexpected or unannounced, TiVo has no way to adjust automatically. It works from the information contained the schedule updated daily by the TiVo service; if that schedule doesn't match what's on, TiVo won't know it.

However, the software does allow you to manually add additional recording time to the end of a scheduled recording. So if you know that a show may run over, you can build in a little insurance.

M.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
That's exactly what I do... for any sporting event that I'm recording, it tell it to end the recording an hour later than it normally would.

-Steve

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
One the recording is done and lets say you added that extra hour. You go to watch it and find out it ended on time. Can you delete the extra hour to save hard drive space??

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Can you delete the extra hour to save hard drive space??
Unfortunately, not. However, you can expand the TiVo hard drive capacity to a ridiculous number of hours which will allow you to not worry about disk space.
Another thing is that if you can start watching the program with a delay, so that when you fast-forward through commercials you'll catch up to it by the end then you can stop the recording as soon as the program ends. Of course that doesn't work if the program is running during the day and you're at work :frowning:

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
If I think a sporting event might run overtime I record the program immediately after. That can easily be deleted if you don't need it.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Not sure if all countries have the same TIVO software, but there's a new version coming over here that has an "Overtime Scheduler" facility. Not sure if this is similar to the "PDC" option that a lot of VCRs have.
Have a look at this link

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks