Rythmik's DirectServo

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkRoberts, Aug 20, 2004.

1. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Any one here used heard or built one? Looking for opinions and user reviews. Either version.

2. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

Built a 2.5 cubic sealed box. Sub is in 12x14 bedroom. Graphed pretty flat from 17hz to 100hz. Sub just pounds. Servo does not really care what box you put it in. Naturally the larger the box the more output. unlike non-servo subs, the size and type of box does not change the low output response.

driver is massive and the rhthmik amps are fairly well built.

3. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Rythmik Amps are awesome for the price. I use one in my diy sub. I haven't tried the servo sub though.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The amps are good.

The info that the box size doesn't matter for servo use is bunk.

The only thing servo control buys is you can use a smaller box. And limiting ability for not over driving the woofer. Sometimes that's a good thing if you have teenagers. If mature adults a using the sub then servo control can limit absolute output. Also some servo units cause audible 'pumping' sound from the woofer.

5. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

The reason I am interested is I used to have a mirage BPSS-210 which is a servo subwoofer and sounded awesome with music, tight and controlled. It would be for the bottom octave of my fronts not for LFE use. Had to sell the mirage for financial reasons at the time and it is no longer made.
    As for box size I would go with what Rythmik recommends. I have one of their basic 250 amps and I really like it. So I thought there servo might be worth a shot.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Mark,

I built a sub using Brian's amp and 12" woofer with a built-in LT circuit and it sounded very good. IIRC, the box size was a 16" cube. It didn't have absolute output, but it was relatively small and went pretty low for a sealed enclosure.

I haven't tried the servo-sub yet so I can't comment on that one.