Rythmik Audio 350W Subwoofer Amp

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Timba, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Timba

Timba Auditioning

I am preparing to build a subwoofer using the Shiva III. I have a Kenwood Component Amp I can use that is 220W/ch - 8 ohms or 330W/ch - 4 ohms. I am also considering using a plate amp. Can anyone give me feedback on the Rythmik Audio 350W Subwoofer Amp or would I be better off buying from Parts Express? OR should I stay with my Kenwood amp? Thanks

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I offered a bit of email help to someone building a DIY sub recently and he used this amp matched to a 15" ED driver. There was some initial problem with the amp but the company jumped thru hoops to make things right for him and last I heard everything was fine and working very well.

Tom V.
    SVS

3. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

I'd say if you can swing the money, the Rythmik amp is the way to go. The adjustable rumble filter is a really nice feature. But do take caution. If you're planning a ported design, the 350W will easily cause bottoming (assuming you're going with one of the popular 'low-tuned' designs). Still better to have more power than needed, imho.

4. Mikejl

Mikejl Auditioning

5. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

No BS... These amps are very good. Using one to power dual Tempests in an IB config and the necessary power is there. It was between this amp and a Parts Express amp, and for the money vs. power ratio I'd go with this one.

6. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

no comparison, the rythmik is so much meatier than the PE 300-794. I have the servo version in a 2.5cubic sealed downfiring cabinet.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Timba

Don't know what exact Shiva design you might be choosing, but the Kenwood would serve you fine most likely.
    The fully adjustable phase of the plate amps, extra goodies on the Rythmik, and that their mounted on the sub itself, might be of use given the (to be subs placement and type design) you build.
    Only thing for sure, all 3 amps "should" provide the necessary power you need.

I agree that the Rythmik is worth the extra few dollars over the PE if one was to choose to go that way. Flat out a better amp in all respects. IMO
    But depending on the (design and power needed) the PE can be a good choice especially when they run their sale for 99.00, or find a used one in the For Sale area.

I have a number of both models and they all have served me very well with no problems even when driving 3-ohm loads. (Not recommended for either plate amp)..

Brian D of Rythmik is excellent to deal with and "definitely stands behind" his products as already pointed out.

Of subject slightly, Tom at SVS is way to cool, Ron too! Tom has always been their to answer a DIY'ers question if your a pester'er like me.
    Just blows me away how he dose it all, the man has to be part robot...!

I'll get those pictures to you yet Tom, I promise! :b

Regards
    Geoff

8. Timba

Timba Auditioning

Thanks for all the feedback. If I use the Kenwood amp, how worried should i be about not having a rumble filter?

9. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

If I were you I would save your money by using the Kenwood and upgrading to a Tempest. Or if you are set on a Shiva just save yourself the money. You can buy an inline rumble filter at partsexpress. I believe they are called FMODS.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Mike and Geoff, thanks for the kind words! 100 emails? Man, honestly it seemed like maybe 10...I guess we all get caught up in the hobby from time to time and lose track of time though..[​IMG]

Tom V.
    SVS

11. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

If you're doing a smallish seasled sub, Rythmik now offer a Linkwitz Transform circuit which can improve the low end response.

Looks a good deal.

Steve