Rythmik and tempest

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eugene _L., Oct 17, 2003.

1. Eugene _L.

Eugene _L. Auditioning

Finally! After too many months of longing for more bass, I finally ordered my Tempest yesterday. I decided to build the SBB4 box because I'll be using it for 95%HT. Bye bye little 10" Cerwin Vega! [​IMG]

My question about the rythmik amp: is anybody using this amp in a similar alignment and does it bottom the Tempest? I'm talking at somewhat calibrated levels. Not at max volume settings.

I've modeled 380 watts with the Tempest in 194L box and it looks like it's at it's max 32.8 mm @29-30hz. If I go with the PE amp I'll get 27.7 [email protected] I'd hate to lose this extra extension. It seems to equal about1.5-2db extra. Every little bit helps. Mind you this is going to be scary considering I've only ever had is my little 10.

Thanks.[​IMG]
    Eugene

2. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

Yes i'm using the rythmic audio amp in a 4 cubes sealed enclosure and all i can say is that i think I could get away with alot less power...my gain usually stays at about 1/3 never more than 1/2. I think that amp is a great match, I've had no problems, I did some custom soldering on mine thanks to the tech support and got a full 24db/oct cuttoff out of the amp as well...

you won't lose the extension

3. Eugene _L.

Eugene _L. Auditioning

Thanks Matt. Sorry about the late response. I only have access to a computer while at work for now.

Take it easy.

Eugene

4. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

Matt,
    You got PM

5. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

Im a newb to all this stuff, so could you tell me why having a 24dB/oct rolloff is better than a 12dB/oct Rolloff??

Seems that you would lose some of the lower freqs. because they are being rolled off so steeply.

but im probably wrong, this is simply what makes sense to me [​IMG] id like to know the actual reason.

6. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    With a 12bd rolloff you need to start rolling it off it at a higher frequency in order to provide the same protection under the tuning frequency. So, yes, you lose more low frequency sounds under the rolloff frequency,hat you want. But by starting the curve lower you can get less collateral damage to desirable frequencies above the tuning point. Or, if you don't change the starting frequency, 24db/oct can be more desirable because it provides greater protection for the driver.

7. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

I was using this to as safety net basically because i don't always run the sub off of my receiver....like when i take it to a pary or something...The receiver adds the extra 12db/oct on its own for the sub out...but i don't get that benefit from most other sources

cheers