Rygby question...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Mar 22, 1999
    Just happen to catch a rugby game on Fox Sports World today, have a question. I don't know much about Rugby but I have figured out a bit of the rules a bit.

1) Why does a team kick the ball rather than try to run up the field? Is it something of a defensive nature, a team feels that the ball is too close to their "end zone" so they'll simply kick it out of their zone thereby giving it to the other team and then hopefully play good defense? Is there a penalty if the opposing team muffs the catch? I saw a team muff a catch and then suddenly the referee called for a "throw-in".

2)Are folks on the ground in the "pile up-Scrum????" not allowed to pick up the football? It seems if your player with the ball gets tackled and the ensuing pileup occurs, the only people allowed to pick the ball up are those that are standing. I saw a penalty called and I think that was the reason.

[ OOPs, that should be Rugby, not Rygby ]
  2. PaulDi

PaulDi Auditioning

Mar 13, 2003
    I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. First of all I'll explain how the field is divided up. A 100m field is divided into two halves and each half is further divided into 10m from half way and 5m and 22m from the goal line.

When a player kicks the ball from his own half whilst he is inside the 22m line it can go "into touch" or out of play on the full. If the player is outside the 22m line and the ball goes out on the full then he is penalised and the oposition have the ball from the point where it was kicked.

When the ball goes into touch under normal conditions a lineout is formed. This is when the two oposing forward packs (eight men each)compete against each other to collect the ball when the hooker throws it over their heads.

The idea behind kicking the ball instead of running it has both offensive and defensive purposes. Obviously you can releave pressure from you own goal line by kicking the ball away and then forcing the oposition to make an error, thus returning the ball to your team further up the field.

You can also apply pressure to the oposition by kicking the ball into empty gaps for you team members to run onto. The main reason for offensive kicking however is to gain field position and build for you own attack on the opositions goal line.

2. I think your talking about rucks and mauls. I don't know too much about this as the rules are constantly changing and even the players don't quite understand it.

The basic jist is that when reaching for the ball you must be on your feet and enter the ruck/maul from behind rather than from the side.

In New Zealand rugby is the king of all sports and we live and breathe it almost 24/7. Almost all males have played it at some stage and as such it is almost a religion.

Hope that helps.
  3. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

Jun 7, 2003
    I'll take a stab at it for you....but I won't take offence to any Aussie, Kiwi, or Brit who steps in if I've got it wrong.
    I'd think kicking the ball away is smart strategy. It is difficult to move the ball upfield when forward passes are a no no. Blocking for a ballcarrier like in American football is also not permitted.
    I don't recall that muffing the catch results in a foul. I would guess play was whistled on the subsequent contact of the muffed catch. An offside call? The term for the "throw in" is called a lineout.
    Once a player is "downed" he has to give up possession of the ball. Ideally, you don't want to cough it up to the opposition, but rather leave it where your mates have a chance to retain possession of it and the opposition can't without being whistled. The exact offside rules around just how it can and can't be subsequently fielded is something I'll leave to one of my kin from the colonies.
    In a Scrum proper, the opposing scrums attempt to either heel the ball back to where your teamates can play it, or advance the whole scrum past the ball to have it sit where it now becomes playable.
  4. andrew markworthy

Sep 30, 1999
    The kicking the ball upfield can be mystifying until you realise that only the person carrying the ball can be tackled. Therefore, the tactics that can be employed in American football are largely useless. Kicking the ball upfield is done for the reasons specified, and the hope is basically that there will be a lucky break in the kicking team's favour. E.g. if the ball is kicked into an open space, there's a good chance that the defending side will fumble and the attacking side will gain possession again.

I've never understood the loose maul and similar, but that's because I was brought up watching rugby league (played with 13 per side and largely confined to the north of England and a few - very good - sides in Australia and New Zealand), where they aren't part of the game. When a guy is tackled, that's the end of the play, rather like American football.
  5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Nov 4, 2000