Ryan Wright: OAR tutorial looks great!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayV, Dec 30, 2002.

1. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Wow, nice! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

FYI, I've corrected the spelling of Ryan's last name in the thread topic.

4. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Good job, Ryan! Indeed, it is a wonderful tutorial - worthy of recognition. I've referred several people to it myself.

5. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nice, Ryan!

7. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

You know, I almost forgot to mention:

The icing? The tutorial itself plugs HTF. Ah, in a good way. You know what I mean. Presumably.

-j

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow Ryan you got a plug from Ebert!! Haha good job, your site deserves 2 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Congrats on the mention! And thank you Ryan for keeping up the good fight! [​IMG]

10. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Great job on this site, Ryan! You know what, though? I wonder if this already-impressive tutorial would have an even greater impact if the voiceover were, well, more seductive. Not that there's anything wrong with it now, but there's certainly a subtle mismatch in both tone and production value between the audio content and the (excellent) graphic presentation that runs alongside it.

How's your wife's voice? Any other friends or acquaintances who could try their hand at recording the text? It might be interesting to see what a different reader could bring to the table.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Links anyone? Is this the old tutorial or has Ryan updated with a new one?

12. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

It's the same. Somewhere on my computer I have the .exe file of it. I will have to agree that John's idea for a seductive voice would be appealing.
    [​IMG]

13. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Who's Joao Solimeo from Brazil? Is he a member here? We should thank him for recommending the tutorial to Ebert.

~T

14. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Perhaps Vickie would like to be the seductive voice? I remember she said guys were attracted to her when she was on the radio.

~T

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Wow.
    First of all, let me say this: Wow! [​IMG]
    I can't believe Roger Ebert mentioned my tutorial. I just heard about it today, when a reader from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune emailed me with a few questions. Needless to say, my site has been busy. I've been getting ~50 hits an hour or so during peak times today.
    Of course, now that I know this was released earlier than today, I'll have to check the last week's worth of logs and see what's been going on.
    Regarding the voice - Yes, I agree. Audio quality on this was horrible. Nevermind the fact that I had a cold when I recorded it. To be honest, I never expected this to get the kind of publicity it does. I wrote it because I wanted to learn Flash -- this was my first project -- and I figured an OAR/WS tutorial would be a neat idea. I posted it here because it turned out fairly well, and everyone loved it.
    I started work on a second tutorial, intended to be more accurate (there are some mistakes in the original) and encompass a wide variety of cinema related subjects. I have a lot of great feedback from people here regarding information to put into this second tutorial, but I have not found the time to actually complete it. Maybe I should step up to the plate and get it done now.

16. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Excellent commendation on an excellent tutorial - it's short, to the point, and ultimately very effective.

This attention would also lead one to believe that Ebert may also be a visitor to HTF, given Ryan's reference to the Software Forum/HTF.

17. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Yep great work Ryan. I bookmarked your site quite some time ago and everyone that comes to my home gets the OAR treatment. They walk away better educated and I walk away knowing I did a good deed.
    Thanks!!!!!
    [​IMG]