What's new

Ryan Adams "Rock n Roll" Hybrid-SACD on 2/24 (1 Viewer)

David Head

Second Unit
Sorry about that Lee. I missed your earlier post, but did read that you thought it was one of the better releases of 2003. I have Gold and love it, so I'm eagerly awaiting this one.

David

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Cool-I was just about to break down and buy the CD but now I will hold off until the hybrid. Here's to hoping that there aren't any spindle cracks!!!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Well, I picked the disc up this week. The stereo portion is spectacularly good. However, I think the M/C track is a waste of time. It's not at all aggressive, very ambient. Usually this is what I prefer but on the first track I had to go over to the right surround speaker to see if something was wrong. There was a "ticking" sound. It was a sound derived from a drum. It just doesn't sound natural or right to me. It sounds like a noisey clock running double or triple speed to me. After the first track I didn't hear anything really objectionable in the surrounds, then again I didn't hear much at all.

I can't say the front soundstage of the M/C mix achieved much of anything over the stereo version. Maybe it lost a little? I bought a copy of the vinyl a few months back because it was cheap and I was curious. The album is too long for 2 vinyl sides, so it has narrow grooves which reduce the quality. If the material was spread to 3 sides, or more, it might sound much better? The SACD's stereo program totally trumps the wimpy vinyl.

The stereo track is so strong, I'd call it one of best sounding rock SACD's yet. I was impressed anyway....

Michael_T

Second Unit
I like it in surround, and found the rear speakers to be more than ambient. Although not the most aggressive surround mix, my surround channels always seemed to be active with guitars, drums (as Rachel mentioned), etc.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, where did you buy it? Is Circuit City or Best Buy carrying it? I would order it online, but I really don't want to wait.

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I picked up a copy at Best Buy on Wednesday for $14.99. They had 3 copies in stock at the time. This is my first experience with Ryan Adams - I'd heard one single from this album (and liked it) and I was itching to buy a new SACD so I went ahead and took the plunge. I had no idea that it had just been released! I've given it one listen so far, and I liked what I heard. Might have to head over to Circuit City next week and see if they still have an SACD copy of Gold left.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Pete,

Gold is great....one of my best SACD's musically and pretty good sonically too.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Evan, I picked it up at a local outfit, The Disc Exchange. They had one copy of the SA-CD mixed in with the CD's. Busted Buy didn't have it. I was pleasantly suprised when D.E. did. Busted Buy just gets worse and worse as a hi-rez dealer in these parts. I suppose Busted Buy will get a copy or two someday??? You shouldn't have any trouble ordering it somewhere. Maybe, you should call some local places? Maybe you'll get suprised too?

David, my 777ES is in the shop and I have my 222ES on my stereo. I was suprised how well the 222ES played it. IMO, it's a disc that can drag a player up so to speak. It's a very well recorded disc. I imagine it came from a PCM master like other Universal titles. That sure doesn't seem to be a "problem" as some have alledged.

I was listening to it with my friend Billy "The Mountain" and even he noticed how good it sounded and commented about it. He has iron ears me thinks. His praise suprised me. He was very astute that day. He also noticed the resemblance to U2. He told me he was now intrested in an SACD player. He was real impressed with the new Aimee Mann SA-CD too. I mention this because I've never had a quest notice an SA-CD and ask about it before. Best wishes guyz!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks