RYAN’S DAUGHTER: Discussions for a BD Release (2015 - 2020)

Flicks*

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
Since I started posting on this thread, it's sad to see how far the school house has decayed. Parts of the roof were still intact 4 or 5 years ago, although the solid nature of the stone walls will no doubt mean they will last a lot longer.

That view out to sea of the Blasket Islands still takes my breath away (even when knowing that Luke Skywalker is meant to be out there ;)) I think that David Lean got the better view...
Ryan's Daughter was filmed at a different location to Star Wars.

Reactions: PMF

DVBRD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I don't know if these clips have been embedded here (but I don't think any of you will nitpick), but I have seen clips of the HD master of Ryan and I see nothing wrong with the picture. If it was really taken from the original 70mm negative or even an IP, I can't imagine why WAC doesn't put out a Blu of this with this master.

I'm grateful that it's at least available in HD, if not on Blu. But then again, you're only getting the film and not the extras.

Reactions: benbess

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if these clips have been embedded here (but I don't think any of you will nitpick), but I have seen clips of the HD master of Ryan and I see nothing wrong with the picture. If it was really taken from the original 70mm negative or even an IP, I can't imagine why WAC doesn't put out a Blu of this with this master.

I'm grateful that it's at least available in HD, if not on Blu. But then again, you're only getting the film and not the extras.
It has been available as a streaming version for years and maybe Warner thinks that what they have is good enough for that but not for a Blu-ray release. I would agree if Warner is working on something like a new 4k master from a 65mm IP or the OCN but if they aren't then I would suggest a Blu-ray release this year to coincide with the 50th anniversary.

Clearly the current master is by no means bad and better than what we have seen from a number of other releases from large format movies and it is about time that we get this on Blu-ray. A lot of talent involved with this one and it needs to be seen in higher resolution than what a DVD can offer and preferably on a big screen.

Reactions: PMF and willyTass

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wish a blu-ray was available for Ryan's Daughter, but since it isn't I'm considering buying the streaming version....

View attachment 71322
If buying the streaming version would be akin to donating needed monies for WAC to produce a superior disc then, yes, I’m all game for taking that route.

As HTF member Flicks* has reminded us, 2020 marks the 50th anniversary year of Ryan’s Daughter and its 70mm Roadshow release; and every great home theater in the land has long held a seat for this visual and audible feast.

Say, come to think of it, today marks my own anniversary with HTF. Yes indeed, folks, 5 years sure does goes well with 50.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

DVBRD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
There's some new articles coming out about Ryan; I guess a new book about it's production has just been published. Hilarious stories about Mitchum getting nice Irish ladies high on pot-laced gravy.

• Appreciate

KeithDA

Second Unit
Real Name
Keith
I guess a new book about it's production has just been published.
Thanks for the 'heads up' - just ordered from Amazon. The Irish Times are quite sniffy about the film and the 'film folk' in the quotes above but it will be interesting to see how it compares to Michael Tanner's 'Troubled epic'.

KeithDA

Second Unit
Real Name
Keith
Thanks for the 'heads up' - just ordered from Amazon.
The book hasn't arrived yet, but I decided to watch the film again last night in preparation for the latest 'immersion'. Also found this on YouTube - 'Ryans Daughter filming locations' - excellent:

A question for you all, when the Captain is settling Major Doryan into his room, he picks up a photograph of a woman and questions, 'is this your wife'? - could the person pictured be Sandra Hotz, Lean's girlfriend at the time...?

Last edited:

KeithDA

Second Unit
Real Name
Keith
I guess a new book about it's production has just been published.
'Making Ryan's Daughter: The Myths, Madness and Mastery' - Paul Benedict Rowan

I've just finished it and, well, it's gossipy and a cracking good read. No-one comes out of it very well, the biggest surprise probably being Eddie Fowlie (or 'Foul Eddie' as Mitchum called him), Lean's right-hand man. Yes, there's a lot of tales I've read before, which is to be expected for a piece of film history that's over 50 years old, but it is a good addition to the available literature. Michael Tanner's 'Troubled epic' focuses on the locations and stories, whilst this new book is more about the people involved (both film folk and the locals).

In terms of making the film, I've finally found out why there was scaffolding down the cliffs at Coomeenoole Bay. The only thing I would still like to see are some photos of the 'tip tanks' in use to soak the players in the storm scenes.....

Now all we need is that 50th anniversary 4K release..... ;)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
'Making Ryan's Daughter: The Myths, Madness and Mastery' - Paul Benedict Rowan

I've just finished it and, well, it's gossipy and a cracking good read.
Yeah, but how can you be sure it's true?

KeithDA

Second Unit
Real Name
Keith
Yeah, but how can you be sure it's true?
You could say that about any biography or historical event...:)

There's a lot I've come across before because I've:
1. Watched the DVD extras
2. Read Tanner's 'Troubled Epic'
3. Read Brownlow's biography of Lean
4. Read Phillips' 'Beyond the epic'
5. Read Silverman's 'David Lean'
6. Read Lean and Chattington's 'David Lean an intimate portrait'
7. Read Dillon-Malone's 'Ryan's Daughter'
8. Read Fowlie and Torne's 'David Lean's dedicated maniac'
9. Watched the South Bank Show's documentary on Lean
10. Perused the internet
11. Followed this thread

None of which prove it's true - but it certainly sounds familiar and possible and this book is still a good read.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Planmeister