RXV Owners -- Way to connect speaker wire with spades?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff H, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased some Transparent speaker cables for my Yamaha RXV-1300 & the cables have spade ends. Is there a way to connect these to the 1300 or am I limited to bananas?

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Perhaps you've discovered that not all binding posts are created equal. If your spades dont fit on the Yamaha posts, maybe they fit on the speakers. In the first, I'd say you'd have to cut them off and get some bananas. The posts knob unscrews counterclockwise, and there's also a hold in the pole to insert bare wire.

Whatever preference works, it's nice to have spades on the amp for a secure screw-down, outa sight, outa mind. On the spkrs, it may be handy to have bananas for ease of moving the speakers around. No biggie.

3. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

Well I have to say, I explained my situation to the folks that I purchased the speaker wire from, and they had me bring it in so they could solder banana plugs on the receiver side of the wires -- and at no charge! They said that the guy that does the soldering would do an excellent job & that it would take him about an hour, very meticulous. Not too bad huh?

So, the choices with the RXV's (1300 at least) is banana or bare wire only...

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Bananas....less chance of a stray wire doing something silly like shorting things out. Also it'll make life easier moving things around. I truly hope it doesn't take him an hour to actually solder!!