1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

RX-Z9 or Rotel seperates?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mindy_c, Jul 31, 2005.

1. mindy_c

mindy_c Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at either purchasing a Yamaha Z9 or some Rotel seperates. Rotel pieces would be thier 5x120 watt amplifier and thier multi-channel reciever(not the one with the lcd screen, the next step down.) Which would you get and why?

2. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

Not that i have any right to be talking about such high end pieces of equipment but, if you are doing it for just movies id probably go the yamaha, its a flagship receiver and for theater would offer the most processes and channels not to mention the bragging rights to one of the best receivers in the world, on the other hand Rotel is a much more exclusive name and for music amplifiers always do better, for some reason they seem to be more precise and clear, not to say that thay yamaha isnt, I really dont have alot of background in these pieces but they only thing i can say as they are both awesome and to flip a coin [​IMG] , have fun with either one.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mindy,

It depends on what you’re really looking for. It’s generally accepted that receivers are on the cutting edge of home theater technology. This is because as hot-selling items they have the benefit of “economies of scale” that allow them to be updated regularly. Separates, which don’t sell nearly as well, do not get this benefit.

For instance, Rotel’s top-of-the line pre-pro, the one with the screen you mentioned, is a two-year-old design – practically an antique in the fast-changing home theater world. The lower-line model you’re looking at I presume is even older.

It’s easy to see the differences when you start comparing features. The Z-9 has more digital ins and outs and more component video ins and outs. The front panel connections include a digital input. The Z9 has Yamaha’s highly regarded digital soundfield processing that very realistically simulates real performance venues. It also features on-board digital equalization, as well as a computerized room optimization function that automatically dials in equalization and subwoofer settings. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the current spate of computerized room correction functions the various manufacturers are offering, and the one on this particular Yamaha is probably as good as it gets.

On the other hand, I would expect the Rotel’s outboard amplifiers to be more robust and better performers than the Yamaha’s, especially if you’re using speakers that are difficult to drive. Plus you can choose the power level you want from the amps.

Bottom line, you’ll have to decide if you need the features the Yamaha offers, of the improved amplifier performance the Rotel offer.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

As wayne mentions the Yamaha has more inputs and likely has some of the newer features that the Rotel lacks. If those aren't important to you sonically seperates typically have the edge over receivers. You might also want to check out the Sherwood Newcastle combo (P965 & A965) as they're priced well and feature wise are a little more modern then the Rotel's.

5. mindy_c

Well, I really like the features of the Yamaha, especially the YPAO. I've heard nothing but praise for the Rotel stuff also. I was thinking about doing seperates because of the low impedence of the drivers I will be using. My towers are rated at 4 ohms and my center and rears are 6 ohm. Now I know this is a nominal figure, I'm just looking for piece of mind. I just want to avoid "under buying" for my needs, which is the reason Im letting my 3805 go, excellent piece, but not enough for my needs. And since I'm upgrading my receiver, most everything else wil have to be upgraded too. Also, I listen to music and movies about just as much. I will be doing strictly 5.1, thats the only set up my room will allow, mainly because this isnt a dedicated listening room.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Let's toss another option into the mix.

How about the RX-V4600 used as a pre/pro and a separate 5 channel amp? This should get you into nearly the league of the Z9, plus have all the latest capabilities that the 4600 provides.

7. mindy_c

That doesnt sound like a bad idea, but since I wont be using the internal amp or the HDMI switching wouldnt it be a waste of money?

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mindy,
    Do you plan on using every input? Every DSP soundfield? Every station the tuner dials in?

I guess you see where I’m going with this. You don’t have to utilize every single capability of a component. As long as it meets your needs, that’s all that matters.

Besides, if it all ends up costing less than the Z9 – how is that a waste?

But if underutilized capabilities really bother you, you could probably use your 6-ohm speakers with the RX-V4600’s internal amps. That way you would only need a stereo amp for the towers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I saw a Netherlands review flagships from Sony ,Denon, Pioneer and Marantz. The Z9 was the top choice among these brands for movies. This info is strickly FWIW as I have no experience with any of them.

10. mindy_c

I know this might be a curve ball, but what about the AVR-4806? I havent had a chance to mess with one, but being that its THX certified, it should be able to handle loads as low as 3.5 ohms. So, it shouldnt have any trouble running my set up. Only thing is alot of the receivers coming out lately carry a higher price tag because of the HDMI switching capabilities, which dont excite me much, since I will be using an outboard HDMI swithcer/scaler anyways. Anyways, at loads around 6 ohms the receiver is rated to put out around 160 watts cont., with low distorion, I think that should be plenty over head. My center and rears are rated to handle 150 cont. and my towers are rated to handle 200 cont. I like the idea of the 4806, because it has alot of the features of the 5805, in a much smaller package. I'd love to do the 5805, but I wouldnt use the other 5 channels for another year(when we'll have our dedicated room), plus all of the extra zone features and such arent important to me. Oh, and Im not sure if my comp. rack could support 100 pounds on one shelf, haha. Thanks for all the feed back by the way.

11. JoanPablo_T

JoanPablo_T Stunt Coordinator

the RX-V4600 is also THX certified. Id also does have an electronic setting to change the ohm rating to accomodate the speakers. It's a nice receiver.

12. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I have a Rotel 1066 and a B&k 5 channel amp. The reason I prefer seperates is flexibility. If You decide that down the road You would like more power or more channels, just swap or add amp. My previous pre-pro was a Marantz that I was very happy with. When I wanted dts,6 channel analog, and other newer features, I bought the Rotel and kept the B&K. Others will add You can add an amp to a reciever, but I never liked paying for internal amps and not using them.

13. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hello, if I were you Mindy I would go the separates route and never look back. I would look at the Rotel 1068 pre/pro and the and amp you mentioned or Arcam avp700 and the matching amp. The sound quality for music will be nicer, smoother especially if you have 4 ohm speakers. Currently I have a Denon 4802 running as a pre/pro. I have used many rcvrs from Denon going back to 1992 and their avr 800 - they also sounded nice, but - I tried an anthem avm30 and the speakers openned up. I currently have an Arcam avp700 on order for a test drive. They seem to be more reliable than Rotel and apparently sound better.
    If you have retailers near you that will allow you to test each set up at home, then that is what I would do.

Regards, Tom

14. mindy_c

Thanks for the replies. I have heard of Arcam, I'll take a closer look at some of thier gear.

15. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Mindy,

I did not see if this was suggested before, but why not just use your 3805 as a pre/pro and add the Rotel amp (or Arcam, NAD, Adcom, etc...)? You say that you don't want the HDMI that the other bigger gun receivers offer, so why pay for it? Also, to me THX processing isn't worth the cost of the upgrade. Just a thought.

Alan Wise

16. CuZ06

CuZ06 Agent

JC
    I agree with Alan on this one, I am using a Denon 3805 as my pre-amp. I use a Parasound 3500 for my mains and a Parasound 2205 for my other channels. Eventually I will upgrade to the Anthem 30 but for now the Denon is doing a great job!

17. Ron AZ

Ron AZ Agent

Mindy...

My wife and I auditioned the Yamaha Z9 ($5000) and the Denon AVR 5805 ($6000) side by side last weekend. Both are very good and we would like to have either one.

We currently use a Lexicon processor with Rotel amps. Both of the AVR's listed above will do a wonderful job for you. My only suggestion to you would be... take your time, because you will have to live with whatever you buy for many years, therefore, go and audition as many different pieces of equipment as you can before YOU make up your mind what sounds best to YOU. As you audition equipment, I would recommend you take your own DVD with you. This way you can really compare how each set-up plays the same DVD.
    Some of the PIXAR DVD's are great demo disc: ie: Toy Story, Finding Nemo...

Have fun... take your time...

Ron AZ

18. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, although I agree completely with listening to all types of equipment with your own source material - I would advise that you bring a piece home and listen in your own home for several days - allow for the novelty to wear off and then evalute one component against the other - you may be surprised at what you hear (or dont hear). Good retailers will allow you an in home demonstration.

Regards, Tom

19. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'll third Alan's suggestion, the 3805 should be more than adequate until you get a dedicated room and just buy either a good 2, 3, or 5 channel amp. I'd advise to throw the lump sum of the money into an excellent amp and would suggest to get the Earthquake which can usually be purchased at a decent price on ebay (you might have to update your rack due to it's weight though but wold be worth it).

20. mindy_c

Well, after reading reviews and taking a listen to several products I have narrowed my choices down to a few. I got a chance to listen to some b&k gear at one of our smaller local shops. I really liked what I heard, and the pieces looked outstanding. At a different store I got a chance to take a look at the 5805. I really like the things Im hearing about the auto-eq. All the reviews for this piece are excellent. I like the idea of seperates, but getting similar performance from an all inclusive package is very attrative to say the least. My husband loves it, I thing its mostly because of its sheer size. Kind of like a "my receivers bigger than yours" kind of thing. Just kiding. But really he likes the idea of being able to use it now and then when we get our dedicated room we can transfer it there and take advantage of its other channels.