RX-V1400 Equalizing?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Walt H, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

I have all JBL Speakers....S38 Mains, S-Center, E-10 Surr & Back Surr and N24II Presence speakers.

Running AUTO Setup, when equalizing I've been setting it to FRONT (where, according to the manual, it adjusts the frequency response of each speaker in accordance with the sound of the FRONT speakers...recommended if the FRONT speakers are of much higher quality than the other speakers.)

I've been thinking about equalizing using the FLAT option (averages the frequency response of all speakers....recommended if all of the speakers are of similar quality).

Since they are all JBL speakers, would this be ok?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Walt,

You don't need to redo the auto eq in Flat mode. You do it once, and the reciever stores the Flat, Front, and (I think, haven't owned mine for a couple of months) Normal eq curves separately. All you have to do is select Flat instead of front in the menu, but I don't exactly remember how to do this.

3. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the RX-V1400 PEQ. After running the Auto Setup equalization using the FRONT option (adjust speakers according to the sound of the front speakers), I decided to re-do the equalization using the FLAT option (average frequency response of ALL speakers), since all my speakers are of similar quality. When I did the FLAT option, I choose to SKIP all the other options. Did it SAVE the previous results that I SKIPPED and only change the Equalizing part? That's what I wanted it to do.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

If you skipped all but the eq part of the auto-calibration, the eq was the only thing that was changed, all the other parameters like distance and speaker level were saved.

5. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Steve.