What's new

RX-V1200 questions (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Just got this receiver the other day. It replaced a Pioneer VSX-D608 which I had bought back in '99. (which was my very first receiver and my foray into HT)

Couple things I've notcied with the Yamaha... in the menus there is an LFE setting for both the speaker and headphones. I just left this at '0'. (for the speaker, i don't use headphones) Then there is also a subwoofer setting along with the rear and center channel settings. So basically there is 2 sub settings? I did a quick spin of Episode 1 and set the sub setting to -5.0. I also noticed you can't individually set the Mains?

With my Pioneer you could individually set speaker settings for both normal stereo and when watching in DPL/DD/DTS. I noticed when setting the sub to -5.0 that when watching tv the sub setting stayed there. I watch tv with my sub on, but I assume this setting will be like this for when I listen to a cd with my jukebox? So I basically have to adjust my sub every time I switch between dvd/tv/cd?

Also, does the bass extension, bass and treble contorls (knobs on front) have an effect when watching tv in stereo and watching a dvd in DD/DTS?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
There are a couple setup "issues" with the new Yamahas. I dont know if the older ones were like this, but I have the 1200 which I got after returning a poor performing Marantz SR-6200. The setup process for the two receviers is vastly different.

1) leave the LFE alone. It should be set at 0. The sub trim setting should be use to balance the sub with the other speakers. This should ideally be done with a test disk and SPL meter, but at the very least you should use a meter and not try to "earball" it.

2) balancing all channels is a bit different on this receiver then on others I've seen. You cannot balance all speakers with the volume control set to zero so that 0 is reference level and -10 is ten under etc. If you are calibrating to 85 dB per Avia, that can be -40, -10, -20 whatever, depending on your speakers and size of room. There is no way to set the level to 0 on the dial because your speakers will most likely be way over 85 or 75 dB depending on what you disk you are using.

3) so, to balance the mains, Yamaha uses a digital balance control. This applies to all sources, all inputs, all modes except the analog 6ch passthrough. This is done in menu #3 on the 1200 (L/R balance)

4) once you get the two mains so they are outputing the same level with test tones, you can balance the center, rear-surround, sub and surrounds using the "level" button on the remote. The sub part of this rotation is where you balance your subwoofer, not in the LFE menu you mentioned in your post.

So once you get the hang of this, I find it quite easy, but it does take two menus to do, and you cannot just set the volume to 0 and bring all speakers down to 75 or 85 dB like you could on the Marantz.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Thanks for the tips.

Been reading the manual and playing around with the receiver a little bit. Tough to get used to it after having the Pioneer for so long.

So when you switch from music to movies, or movies to music, do you have to adjust your sub volume and/or the volume of your mains each time?

Anyone else with some experience setting this receiver up?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
No, thats why all the adjustments are digital. The mains and sub should all be balanced for all modes except the 5.1 ch inputs. For that, balancing is usually done by the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks