RX-V1 preout problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Feb 3, 2003.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I really love this piece of equipment but the constant checking for the loss of a main is getting tiresome. Last year I found that this would be a little problem to check now and then but it seems to be becoming more often. Yes, I know that inserting a rca into the preouts is a quick fix but I am needing to know if there is a better and more permanent fix?
    Anyone had this fixed or know of a simple/ more lasting fix?

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA Extra

yamaha can service this if you bring it in. but otherwise, yeah, you can insert and leave an rca cable in the jacks as opposed to poking the jacks with it every now and then.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I kept having this problem with my left channel. I just left a cable connecting the in to the out. Recently I got some couplers that are used on some units, and that works fine too.

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I kept having this problem with my left channel. I just left a cable connecting the in to the out. Recently I got some couplers that are used on some units, and that works fine too.

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA Extra

keith, if you are using the double-pin couplers from yamaha, i've heard they are not shielded. some users have found that they produce inferior sound compared with using good rca connectors. personally, i have not done any comparison with either my dsp-a1 or rx-v1, but i did opt for the rca connectors just for good measure. [​IMG]

6. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

This is off of the subject,

I just bought a V1 and I'm using powered towers for my mains with no separate sub. I connected using the splint mono output and set the LFE to sub. Any thoughts about this.

Phil

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA Extra

phil, i'm not familiar with the setup configuration of your powered towers. but generally speaking, if you want to send only bass output into them, i think the current setup is fine. personally, i would rather use the stereo split outputs to take advantage of directional bass, and set my lfe setting to "main".

8. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John

If you'rr talking about the split coax jacks in the back thats what I'm using and from taking to Yamaha these are mono. If you're saying to use the speaker level input, I can do that but the crossover it 150hz. I'd just rather use the 90.

Phil

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA Extra

phil, what yamaha has told you is interesting news. from the manual, the split sub output is supposed to be a stereo feed, with bass derived from the main L and R channels separately.

10. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

Johnny,

LOL, yeah never listen to the tech help. I just revisited the manual and your are right it is stereo for freq below 90hz derived from the L/R main and L/R rear. However the LFE is mono from both. I quess that would mean when you listening to a source with an LFE output like a DTS/DD moveie tract its mono. When listening such as a CD you would get stereo separation. Anyway that's the way I'm seeing it at this point.

Thanks,

Phil