Rx for Pioneer DVL-909?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Cashill, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

My LD/DVD combo unit, a workhorse for the last two years or so, has gone glitchy on me--DVDs freezing for a few moments then recovering, or the disc stopping altogether. Unplugging the unit for a day or two and giving it a rest has solved the problems, but not eliminated them.
    Is it time to send it to the shop? What might the problem be? LDs function fine, never a problem to date.

2. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I would just buy a decent inexpensive DVD player and save the wear and tear on your LD/DVD player (in other words use it as an LD only player). It would probably be about the same price as getting the DVD portion of your player fixed.
    Just a thought.
    ------------------
    September 11, 2001
    "Those who died will always be remembered.
    Those who killed will never be forgotten.
    We who remain will not let it happen again."

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Mine had a problem with the DVD laser pickup and had to have it replaced. If you don't already know, it uses a different laser to read DVDs and one for LDs and CDs; the one not being used hides in the back compartment while the disc is playing. It was still worth getting mine fixed instead of buying a new player since my 909 is region-selectable and Macrovision-free! Just wish I could make the laser auto-flip for 2-sided DVDs!

4. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Aha...well, it may be time for a pickup, as it were. Thanks for the advice.