What's new

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
They opened a Ruth's Chris in Virginia Beach at the beginning of May. My wife and I went there for our 24th wedding anniversary. My wife is a medium well kind of person, but the steak they brought out was still pretty red. When my wife said something about it, the server said, "Well, the plate is very hot, and it will finish cooking the steak for you."

My wife looked at her and said, "I prefer to have my food cooked BEFORE it's served to me, thank you."

Maybe it was a bad night for them or something, but we thought it was terrifically overpriced for what we were served. And $7 for a baked potato? With nothing on it? My steak fries was a potatoes cut in fourths and not completely cooked.

Frankly, we thought that we've had better steaks at Logan's Roadhouse, or even Golden Corral.

But at least if we say we won't eat there, it's from experience....

BTW, the best steak I've ever eaten was at a hole-in-the-wall place in Abilene Texas.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, been to Bone's several times and they do serve a great steak, rather pricey though. Would generally go there when it was on the company's dime.

Just looked at the Ruths Chris website. They don't specifically state that each steak is a prime cut.

Seems to me just get a good USDA choice cut, marinate it and grill it and you will be miles ahead of any steakhouse.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It's been about 15 years, but I was underwhelmed by my visit to Ruth's Chris (I hate that name) in Seattle, which has many better steakhouses, including The Metropolitan Bar & Grill (aka "The Met"), El Gaucho (there's also one in Portland), and Morton's, just to name a few.

I felt RC, compared to the others, was on the bland side. They have recently moved from the business district, where it was a ghost town around dinner time, to the downtown shopping and hotel district, so I might give it another try. Then again, a steak dinner with all the fixings and drinks winds up being around $100 a head, so I'm more likely to spend my money on a sure thing.

SarahG

Second Unit
Never been to Ruths Chris, but I've been to Morton's. Will probably never go back. It was good, but not as good as the price was expensive. I've been to other places that have nearly equal quality of food for a considerable amount less.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

While I have yet to find any "amazing" ones (but I'm looking!) I find Steak Joynt in the Valley to be a reliable place. Nothing amazing, but good and priced reasonably.

I want to find some places that import Japanese beef... I have read about a couple places that have it air freighted over twice a week, but have not yet gone to one.

-V

Chris Derby

Second Unit
well let me know if you want to go exploring.. if i remember correctly, you're right across the 405 from me. =)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It seems like more places in Seattle serve Kobe or Wagyu beef than L.A. Good luck on your search. If you are going to splurge make sure you get a steak and not a burger, which is a stupid idea when you think about it because you want a little fat in your burger to make it juicy and easy to chew.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Chris, drop me an email. I dunno if i'm "right across the 405"- as I'm in the heart of Hollywood these days... but I'd still be psyched to find someone else to raid some steakhouses with!

-V

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

Yes they do and yes it does. Plus the burners are above the meat so that fewer juices are lost.

There's a place here in St. Louis (Citizen Kane's) that uses the same setup. The Ruth's Chris closed here in St. Louis about 10 years ago and I find C. Kane's is about the closest to R.C.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Thanks for the confirmation. I was beginning to think no one read my query, or my suggestion for a local Los Angeles steakhouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks