What's new

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (1 Viewer)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I love Ruth's we go every year for our wedding anniversary. Like anything else that is expensive, it is an indulgence. Yeah you can get cheaper and probably better. But it is really good food in a really nice place. Very romantic and goes a long way if your looking to impress someone.

EugeneR

Second Unit
Went to the Beverly Hills one with my wife for the first time recently, and neither one of us was particularly impressed. It definitely couldn't hold a candle to Smith & Willensky's in Vegas.

Don Black

Screenwriter
OT: Another big thumb's up to Colvin Run Tavern in McLean, VA.

But Peter Luger's restaurant in NY had the best steak out of all of the ones I've been too (Morton's, Ruth Chris, Palm's). Only a so-so atmosphere though...

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

Others have done well to explain this, but I'll go a little further. I used to work at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in CT in the mid-90's.

Ruth Furtel bought Chris Steakhouse in New Orleans sometime in the 1960's. It was a struggling restaurant but had a dependable clientele. About 6 months after buying the restaurant, New Orleans was hit with a HUGE hurricane and the city lost power for about a week. Ruth had just bought a large supply of beef, using just about all the money she had at the time. Knowing the beef would go bad, she brought it to the rescue workers and grilled it up to help them in building the city back up. The workers LOVED the flavor of the meat, wondered where her restaurant was, and after a time, word of mouth had carried to the point where the restaurant was thriving. At that point a lawyer from Baton Rouge was a regular customer. Wanting a Ruth's Chris closer to his house, he asked Ruth if she was going to open one up somewhere other than New Orleans. Knowing nothing about franchising, the Lawyer told her all about it, drew up papers and opened the first Ruth's Chris franchise in Baton Rouge and the rest is history.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Here in Portland, (Or.) Ruths' and Mortons are within blocks of each other. I way prefered Mortons. It was the best steak I have had. I like to bring my own garlic salt though, because steak without it is like underwear without elastic anywhere.
Portland people are slobs so an evening out at a fine dining establishent means ratty khakis and hiking boots.

I agree with Orlando. It is very expensive, but it is something that I think everyone should do it once or just as a special nite out that you can do just to experience it. Unless you get sick or something what is the hurt?
And of course we can all make a great one on the barbee, but big whoop, the world is your back yard!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. I love my steak bloody rare, and I'll be damned if it's cooked any higher. I'm still torn over whether or not I prefer the New York Strip or Ribeye cuts. Not enough flavor in Filet Mignon.

I've heard legends and folklore tell me that "Well-done" steak can be delicious. I have to taste it to believe it. ;)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The best steaks I've had have been at local places that primarily serve to ranchers / cattlemen. As for the best places with ambiance (and wine) I prefer the local restaurants. Ruth Cris is too expensive for what you get... IMO, it is not 'fine' enough to consider it Fine Dining.

ChrisHeflen, have you been to Ringside (in Portland)? I prefer it to Ruth Cris's and Mortons. If you ever get out to Tumulo, OR (between Bend and Sisters) then you have to try the Tumulo Feed House... it's the best steak I've had in Oregon.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
sor, for you "i don't do chains" guys, gimme an amazing "local only" steakhouse in the los angeles area...

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend Bern's in Tampa. Now that is some fine food... expensive, but, wow, blows away Ruth Chris', Morton's, etc.

And don't forget to go for the dessert room upstairs. Leave room for it, though.

Though Morton's in Chicago comes close. For that matter, Chicago is blessed with some excellent restaurants...!

Mike

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The best steak I ever had was a New York Strip at Ernie's Steakhouse in Grangeville, Idaho. Ernie owns a ranch about ten or twenty miles down the road, so all the beef comes from his cattle, which are range-fed, slaughtered and processed right there in Idaho. The result was the most tender, delicious steak one could imagine. You can really tell a huge difference between range-fed and the steroid and antibiotic injected lot fed meat that most places serve.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Don't they use an 1800-degree oven? Doesn't that make a difference?

I've been to a few Ruth's Chris, and the steaks I've had were cooked correctly and very good. About the same level as Smith & Wollensky. I don't eat at them often enough to make a fine distinction. They're definitely better than, say, Outback.

In Los Angeles, I also liked Nick & Stef's downtown.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I once went to a place in NYC called Knickerbockers. I had the best T-bone ever there. It was bigger than the plate.

Has anyone been there? Is it still there? Is/was it a chain?

I also used to travel to Houston every other week for work. You'd think you'd be able to find a good non-chain steak. Every time I asked for a recommendation, they directed me to a chain.

Also, another memorable steak was in Spokane, can't remember the name of the place though. Guess it doesn't matter because I won't be going back there anytime soon.

Jim Sentry

Stunt Coordinator
I no longer eat steak out since restaurants stopped serving prime cuts.

It seems like they all have fancy names but they are really not prime.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Very Good, but no real threat to Peter Luger's.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

John Spencer

Supporting Actor

Y'know, pan-roasted monkey poo with spinach and almond pesto may be a delicacy in some country, but I'm quite positive I don't need to try it to know I won't like it. I've tried many a restaurant, both chain and local, and nothing beats the cuisine I make at home.

And if the whole world is my backyard, somebody owes me an assload of rent! :)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Jim, have you tried Bone's in Buckhead? I've travelled around the country and that's some of the best steak I've ever had. It's a bit on the "Men's Club" side of ambiance but it's very nice and the service is excellent.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of places that still serve prime beef. You just have to be willing to pay the preimum, just as you do at the market (where prime beef is also very expensive.

Although I have not eaten at Ruth's Chris, I have at many, similar places, where prime steak is served as a matter of course.

Peter Lugar's is the place for steak (at least in NY).

Users who are viewing this thread