Rutger Hauer

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Shawn_McD, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Shawn_McD

Shawn_McD Stunt Coordinator

What happened to this guy, he was the Clint Eastwood of Sci-fi. I just checked his going to be in the new Batman. Anyone think he's agreat actor?

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Rutger Hauer, like Christopher Walken is the best thing in some average, bad and very bad films. His performance in my favorite film is underrated in my opinion and always seems to take the backseat to the film's eye candy. The Hitcher, Blind Fury(a guilty pleasure), Ladyhawke are some good performances. The man is in a lot of films, he loves to work

More importantly, Mr. Hauer is an amazing soul. One of few true humanitarians. Although, this isn't the forum to discuss it, he truly gives to our human race.

3. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I remember Blind Fury. I liked that film back in the day. havent seen it in years though.

4. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

In addition to the new Batman movie, last season he played crime boss Morgan Edge in Smallville, and is also going to be in Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller's Sin City. He does seem to keep himself to smaller roles, but they are always cool.

5. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

He was also in the "Salem's Lot" miniseries.

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Don't forget Flesh + Blood! [​IMG]

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Nice to read that he is going to be in a couple high profile movies.

8. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

I really liked him in "Split Second" but I don't think this has been released on DVD.

9. DaveRU

DaveRU Stunt Coordinator

You can currently get Split Second from Denmark Region 2, and there was a region 1 disc that went oop

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Don't forget the films that brought him into the international spotlight, Turkish Delight and Soldier of Orange.

11. Brent C

Brent C Stunt Coordinator

He was great as Morgan Edge on Smallville last season. Especially the scenes between him and John Glover as Lionel Luthor. It's just too bad he wasn't available for the character's second appearance later in the season.

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Rutger Hauer is in the same league as another actor who is often the best thing in the show's or movie's, Bruce Campbell.

I loved the film Rutger did called Dead Lock with him and Mimi Rogers wearing those c-4 collers that will blow thier head's off if they separate too far.

His greatest role is John Ryder hands down, in The Hitcher. He was pure phsychotic perfection! One of only a few film villians that I was actually afraid of.

I'm just getting into Smallville via dvd (love that freakin show!) and will be on the lookout for Rutger.

13. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

As a villain Rutger Hauer had a few "star" moments, most notably in Blade Runner and The Hitcher. When you watch these films you'll notice a strange, unique quality he has as an actor. Namely, if Rutger plays the antagonist, he is far more likable than when he is cast as the protagonist. So much so, that he even has the ability to outshine the main star of the picture. Maybe that's why Stallone and him were on the wrong foot with each other on the set of Nighthawks. It's a shame that, after The Hitcher, Hauer decided not to play the villain anymore. Rutger was from now on the good guy, the hero, and he got lead parts in such films as Wanted: Dead Or Alive, Blind Fury, Blood Of Heroes, ... Oh, please, don't make me continue! Soon the films he "starred" in were only available in the Straight-To-Video section of your local video rental store.

Enter Christopher Nolan! The director of Memento and the new Batman film Batman Begins is a huge Blade Runner fan. No doubt that he's responsible for giving Rutger a part in this film. Honestly, I wonder how his role as Richard Earle will turn out, because, after all, over the years Rutger has lost a little bit of his once undeniable aura.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as
    long. And you have burned so very very brightly, Roy.

------------
    Alex Cremers