Rusty on speaker/sub/rcvr setup...Can you help?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark^Faust, May 12, 2004.

1. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Hey All,

In a recent move, all my settings on my receiver and sub got yanked around.
    It has been forever since I setup this system properly, so I guess I need a crash course in re-setting up the entire system.
    I do have the AVIA disk and the Radio Shack SPL meter to get me going
    We mainly watch movies and cable...Hardly any music.

Equipment:
    Fronts - Paradigm MiniMKII's or 3se-Mini's (no model#)(70Hz - 20KHz)
    Rear - Paradigm Atoms (70Hz - 20KHz)
    Center - Paradigm CC-300 (55Hz-20KHz)
    Sub - Velodyne FSR-12B
    Receiver - Yamaha RX-V596 (small/large speaker cutoff = 90Hz)

Wiring:
    RG6 going from my Rcvr-LFE output-->Adapter "Y" connector-->FSR12 Line Level Inputs (both)
    Home depot 12AWG going to other 5 speakers

RX-V596
    Bass Out = Subwoofer
    All speakers set to SMALL to enable all the 90Hz and below content to go out the LFE output

FSR-12B Sub
    Xover - OUT or IN (Out to enable RCVR to do the 90Hz cutoff)
    Low Pass - 40Hz to 120Hz dial (irrelevant)
    High Pass - 80Hz OR 100Hz ONLY (irrelevant)

Here are my questions:
    1) Should I be using the internal sub crossover controls or just use the RX-V596 like I have it above?
    2) Is the Avia disk satisfactory for setting up the sub? Or can someone give me a little more insight?
    3) Also, it seems that sometimes my subwoofer wont kick in while in auto. I switch to manual and it won’t kick in there either. I have to unplug it for about 1 minute and then. After replugging it back in, it will start working. Which would be the more likely culprit, the RCVR out or the Sub itself?
    4) I remember seeing a pretty colorful 1-page website about setting up speakers using the Radio Shack meter...Anyone remember the link?

Thanks very much for the help
    Mark

[​IMG]

2. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

anyone????

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    (1) Generally the receiver’s crossover should do the filtering. The sub’s crossover could be also utilized (overlapping or underlapping) to overcome certain low frequency problems, but unless you have some test equipment to tell you if this would help anything, just go with the receiver’s crossover.

(2) Avia is a good start, but personally I trust my ears for setting final sub levels.

(3) It could be that the signal coming from the receiver is not set high enough to trigger the sub. Try turning down the sub’s volume control and increasing the send from the receiver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I respectfully disagree with Wayne, Mark. Even very experienced professionals can’t set sound levels consistently using their ears. And this is most true of the lower notes.

My suggestion is to use your disk and the SPL meter to set the levels for all your speakers, including your sub. After that, if you find that you prefer a bit more emphasis for the low bass, then go ahead and boost the output of your sub a few dBs. Many of use do (I run mine 3dB hot fro movies, for example).

My suggestion is to get everything set the same first—so you have a base from which to begin making changes.

A couple of things to consider when setting up your sub—the AVIA disk I am pretty sure will use bass management when it generates its tones. This means that you may well get bass from your main speakers as well as the sub when you calibrate your speakers. If you consider this to be an issue, you can use your receiver’s test tones to calibrate your speakers.

The other thing is that the Radio Shack SPL meter is less sensitive to bass notes and therefore you need to compensate a bit, as your readings will be off. Less sensitive means that your meter will show a lower reading that the real sound level. The compensation varies by frequency, but if you just add about 3dB to your meter reading for the sub, you will be more or less correct.

If your are interested the meter is off by about 7.5dB at 20Hz to about 1.5dB at 80Hz.

Thoughts on your specific questions:

1)Use your receiver’s crossover. Don’t also try to use your sub’s crossover.

2)It is, but see above. The AVIA disk will measure total bass, including any from your main speakers. This may or may not be an issue. In any case you want to calibrate all your speakers, not just your sub. Yo can use your receiver’s test tones to do this. You can use the AVIA for the sweeps and so on, if you decide to use the test tones from your receiver.

3)I guess that this is the sub. But I don’t know the specifics of either your sub or receiver.

No—but
    this link probably has more information than you can use. It is quite comprehensive. Remember you want to calibrate all your speakers.

5. Lew Crippen

One more thing Mark—this is a very easy and fast way to calibrate your system.

1)Sit in your preferred listening position.
    2)Set the sub gain to around 50%–75%
    3)Set the volume of your receiver to generate a tone of either 75dB or 85dB (your choice—depends on how loudly you listen to your movies/music. Do this for the left front speaker. The channel level for the left front should be zero.
    4)Now adjust each channel in turn so that the test tone is the same level as the left front.
    5)Finish with the sub—you may have to adjust both the gain on the sub and the sub channel in your receiver to get this right. Basically you don’t want to set the sub’s gain to 100%, because you want to make sure that the sub’s amplifier has enough headroom to handle peaks in the music.or soundtrack.

Simple—takes about 15 minutes. You can spend hours refining this, but this will get you in pretty good shape fast.

Don’t forget to compensate for the SPL meter not being accurate for the sub.

6. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Lew/Wayne,

thanks very much for the insight....I attempted a quick calibration last night but was interrupted when my 7 month old had to go to bed...

I will start/finish up tonight and report back..thx
    Mark

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Lew,

I wrote to Mark that the Avia is a good place to start, but to let his ears be the final determinate for his sub level.

You told him start with the Avia disc, but that he should feel free to emphasize his sub level to his personal taste afterwards.

Help me out here – what’s the difference? :b

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. Mark^Faust

Mark^Faust Agent

Only bad thing about this whole situation....
    I have started reading on subs again...and calibration...and then I see all the talk on the SVS Subs... and now thinking it might be time for an upgrade....

then I think about my older HTR-5250 recevier
    and my Paradigm Mini Mark II's
    and My Surround Atoms..
    and my CC-300 Center channel...
    and my 13yr old Hitachi Ultravision 4:3

geeez...does it ever end...

look for a post of a guy looking to "Start Over" [​IMG]

Mark

9. Lew Crippen

Wayne—there is none. I misread your post.

I should have re-read, as I normally think that your advice is spot on.

Sometimes I both read and type too fast.

Sorry for the confusion—it was all mine.