Russian music download sites

Greg.G

Stunt Coordinator
Seems to me paying a little over a dollar for a complete album is not possible when trying to account for artist royalties, overhead of the site, record co.'s cut, etc.

On the positive side I would imagine as far as prosecution of illegal downloaders is concerned this would not be the first place the authorities would go to prosecute individuals since there is some grey area.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I'm sure this won't be here long...but...

Yes its true and yes that is what they charge. However Visa and Mastercard will not allow you to tie their cards to an account there.

Its not legal here but is legal there so unless you got a yacht with internet access 8 miles off the coast I'm sure this will be closed or deleted shortly.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I haven't used this service, but one nice thing about it is you can pick the compression rate for your mp3s, and they also have Ogg Vorbis files. I don't have any desire to pay money for lossy mp3 files, but they do sell flac files. I would pay .50 -.75 a piece for flac files. I won't pay more for digital files than actually purchasing the cd, unless it's something I can't find any where.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
So, has anyone here actually used this site? Just wondering about its convenience, reliability, stability, etc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
I've used it, before I discovered the questionable nature of their business. While I did run into some server issues occasionally (dropped connections primarily), the service was well run, affordable, and very convenient.

The one and only reason I used them is because they offer lossless downloads. I'm not interested in buying MP3s online, but if I can buy lossless (FLAC) music downloads, save myself a drive to the store to pick up a CD, and save the planet a few pounds of CO2 and trash in the process, then that's worthwhile to me. Unfortunately I know of no other online music service that sells lossless downloads. What a pity.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
As a content provider whose work has been stolen by many of these sites, they are not legit and are in no way compensating the artists or anyone involved in actually producing the music. You may as well just fileshare and save your money. I would also question where your credit card info winds up...

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
I usually only use these sites to download stuff I can't find on p2p.....although I haven't used allofmp3 since they stopped processing visa cards

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Can anybody say what the industry standard (iTunes) gives to the artists for every 99 cents?

I'm assuming the breakdown is....
75%: Label
25%: Apple

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

In many cases, probably very little.

This isn't Apple's fault. Apple is paying the costs for electronic distribution and retailing -- costs that in the CD world, the record companies and retail stores would normally bear.

The problem is the division of the royalties. Even though the record labels don't contribute a whole lot of value to iTunes sales, they still have control over the recording copyrights that they take away from the artists. I think that in many cases, they take advantage of this to set up the arrangement "the lion's share of the download sales revenue goes to the record label, & only some fraction of that goes to the recording artist".

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
But does anyone know the actual percent paid to the artist? (which I assume is different for artists of different labels). I've heard everything from 2% to 1/100th of 1% (For every $999 bought the artists gets whole $.99), but nobody can cite anything. Does anyone know anything concrete?

Greg.G

Stunt Coordinator
Never underestimate the hubris and greed of record companies:

"Under that old rubrik, the record company deducts fees for the kind of extra costs they used to incur when records were pressed on vinyl, including packaging charges, restocking costs and losses due to breakage."

which of course are now N/A.

I'd really like to see if those old contacts will hold up in a court today or if the judge will interpret them much differently than a Sony would.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Be aware that a FLAC item downloaded from that site may not actually be lossless... it could be a FLAC encoded version of an old mp3 file. Some albums are fine, others are not. Legality aside, it is definitely buyer beware on these bargin sites (if high quality is critical to you).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979