Russian film suggestions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jason Goodmanso, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Jason Goodmanso

Jason Goodmanso Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend who lives in Russia and asked me if I enjoy any Russian films.

And honestly - I don't if I have even seen any.

Any suggestions for titles out in Region One?

2. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

"Russian Ark" rules the school. Sad to say, this is also the only Russian film I've seen.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    Solaris: Criterion Collection is my suggestion. a very very slow moving film, but also a very good one. its been described as the 'russian 2001', although its not a very accurate description. if you have seen the remake, its much better. the remake sucks imo. and solaris is the only russian film i have seen. gotta see russian ark, simply because it was shot in ONE take. impressive, even if the movie sucks, which it probably doesnt.

CJ

4. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Run, dont walk to rent or buy Andrei Tarkovsky's STALKER.

A 'sci-fi film' without a single special effect, any hardware, sets, or anything else remotely "sci-fi" -it is slow and ponderous-yet has me on the edge of my seat every minute, captivated.

it has a very haunting score, reminiscent of Morricone.

Synopsis: an undetermined, unseen alien force has taken over a vast area which is called "The Zone". Troops were sent in and they never returned. Tanks were sent-they were later found as rusting, melted, wreckage.
    It is now a guarded by the Government, a fenced-in, forbidden area.

This area is still deceptively like it was before the 'occupation'....
    yet it is full of unspecified, unseen, deadly "booby traps" and other undescribed horrors.
    it is an area where one could go mad.

A new type of entrepenuer makes it their life to sneak people in for paid tours of the Zone, which is comprised of abandoned, decaying Cheyrnoble-like factories with a waste-strewn but beautiful pastoral countryside. very eerie.

The film begins as one such "Stalker" who knows his way around the Zone, embarks on a tour with 2 others-a writer and a Physicist.
    Nothing much happens, as they explore, looking for some kind of "contact"
    purpose-or meaning...behind it all.
    Hard to imagine, but I was glued to the set the whole time.

All I can say is that it is one of my new favorite films.

NB:
    it is Full Frame, and RUSCICO now has an original Mono version out.

5. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I haven't seen many Russian films, but I saw one recently that blew me away -- The Man with the Movie Camera. Absolutely enthralling. And it's silent, so you don't have to worry about reading subtitles.

6. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Actually, almost any Tarkovsky movie would be a good bet if you can handle a very slowly moving movie, sometimes with a lot of prolonged almost silent sequences. My personal favorite is Andrei Rublev (available from both Criterion Collection and Ruscico), but Solaris and Stalker are quite good, too. Also Mirror. I would also recommend a reasonably recent Mikhalkov's Burnt by the Sun, although the DVD (IMHO) could've been a lot better. From the early years of Russian cinema, there are Eisenstein movies like Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible. Also a silent Battleship Potemkin.

I also have Masters of Russian Animation but that's a very uneven mix, I would recommend Hedgehog in the Fog from Volume 2 and Tale of Tales from Volume 3.

There are also some strong war movies like Come and See, The Cranes Are Flying, Ballad of a Soldier.

On the lighter side, there are Autumn Marathon, Diamond Arm, Irony of Fate or "Enjoy your Bath!", Operation "Y" & Other Shurik's Adventures,Kidnapping Caucassian Style.

As far as I know all of these movies are available for rental at Netflix.

7. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

Most Russians movies in the Criterion collection are worth seeking out.

I recommend :

Ballad of a Soldier
    The Cranes are Flying

Most of Andrei Tarkovsky work is highly recommended too, but I recommend Andrei Rublev,Stalker and Solaris the most.

Sergei Eisenstein is the most renowned Russian filmmaker, but I'm far from an expert on his work so I'll let others make recommendations on DVDs of his work.

8. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Andrei Konchalovsky's House of Fools will be released next Tuesday (10/28) by Paramount. I hope to post a review over the weekend.

-Scott

9. Jason Goodmanso

Jason Goodmanso Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all for all of the suggestions.

Do believe I'm going to have to redo my Netflix Queue and hit up the local decent DVD shop and rent some stuff.

Thanks again.