Russia again makes noise about sending humans to Mars.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Every couple of years, an official in the Russian space effort will hold a press conference so as to tell the world that the country has all the pieces in place to begin work on a manned expedition to Mars. As always, nothing comes of the announcement due to one little matter: rubles, or the lack thereof.
    Now, an official at Energya, Russia's leading space and aeronautical manufacturer in the private sector (and maker of the manned Soyuz-TM spacecraft), is saying his country can put together a three-module interplanetary spacecraft and send its astronauts on a two-year-long roundtrip voyage to the Red Planet by 2014.
    That would be wonderful, wonderful news, except for that same recurring problem: rubles, or the lack thereof.
    Here is the latest announcement, linked from Keith Cowings's excellent Website, NASAwatch.com:
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...09/25/048.html

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sigh

I'm sure the Russians COULD do it if they had the bucks

Hey NASA!

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think the US and other European countries should help them. Things are different than they were in the 60's when the US was basically in a race against Russia to get to the moon.

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Hell, I could plan a manned mission to Mars if I had the bucks. I'm no expert in international monetary funds but if Russia could afford to do it then who couldn't? Usama bin Laden will do it before Vladimir Putin.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Just the other day Russia came out and said they are about to cancel their space station program do to lack of cash, now this. Yeah right! No one is going to Mars any time soon. Besides, it's a waste of money, it's a very hot and cold rock people.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

8. Jack Briggs

And, Ron, buddy, Mars gets cold, but the warmest it gets at the equator is only about 70 degrees F.

The news about Russia having to pull back from ISS participation is also a perennial; they do that every year. If the powers that be in Washington hadn't cancelled the X-38 Crew Return Vehicle project, then we wouldn't be so damn dependent on the Soyuz-TM vehicles as CRVs.

Believe me, NASA never wanted the Russians involved in the ISS. And had NASA not been so consistently underfunded, the ISS would be much further along by now, no thanks to the Russians. Finally, NASA would love nothing better than to remove Russia from the "critical path" in the ISS project. The only reason NASA is dependent on the Soyuz-TM spacecraft is because of wrongheaded moves made in Washington.

Alas, Forum rules prevent me from making further comments.

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Space exploration has always been about having sufficient motivation to spend the necessary money. The expenditure necessary to go to Mars doesn't currently have a motivation to match it.

I've felt for a long time that space exploration won't really get moving until someone figures out how to make money from it, or at the very least make it cheap enough that you don't need a huge motivation.

10. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I'm sure the russians could do it if they had the cash. They make some of the best military equipment in the world with far less technology.

Jeff

11. David King

David King Stunt Coordinator

Can't they take that NSYNC guy and leave him there.

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well why not it is the Red Planet after all![​IMG]
    Well whoever gets to walk on Mars, it will still be an absolutely fantastic achievement for mankind, man has yet to walk on another planet, the Moon isn't a planet, and I'd guess that Mars is the most well known planet other than Earth in our Solar System. I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

13. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

RobertR says
    I've felt for a long time that space exploration won't really get moving until someone figures out how to make money from it, or at the very least make it cheap enough that you don't need a huge motivation
    Pretty simple. Seems like this whole endeavor is better left to another century.
    Early settlers to America gave up the idea of returning to Europe. The struggle to survive was hard and many didn't. Before we mount an effort to Mars, why not set up a model colony here on Earth to explore the hazards to be faced by early settlers.
    The biosphere in Arizona pointed out many pitfalls of putting together people and an enclosed ecosystem. This experiment should be ongoing and ramped up.
    Set up a floating city off the Pacific coast. Put on a thousand people and have them grow their own food hydroponically, and in dirt filled enclosures. Have them fish the oceans and raise livestock. After five years set up another city. After five cities are up and running set up a space station around the Earth that will house 100 people and have them expand it to 1,000. When that space station is complete, after five years start another. When five are complete, start sending 100 people teams to Mars every few months till 1000 settlers can survive. And so it goes.
    The exact figures are not critical, but they need to be sufficient large and diverse to ensure the survival of the settlers.
    So what is the payoff for the people who stay behind on Earth. Simply building floating cities and making them self sufficient points to the possibility that we can live a low impact life style. The experiment should be self sustaining, but ocean settlements should be established that have free contact and free trade with the rest of the world with the goal of making a profit.
    Countries with high population densities are already considering ocean going cities. The more we come to live on the ocean, or in closer proximity on terra firma, the less impact we will have on Earth's resources and other species that share the planet with us.

14. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

How about we send all NSYNC up there [​IMG]
    With a one seater return capsule. They can tape a real survivor show then.
    "Survivor: Mars"
    I'd actually watch THAT one!

15. Jack Briggs

Ashley: A privately funded research station is presently set up in the Arctic to study the feasibility of living on Mars. The effort is being directed by space activist Robert Zubrin (author, The Case for Mars). JB

16. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

"What's your favorite planet? Mine's the sun! Always has been... I like it cause, it's like the king of planets!" -Harry Caray

17. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

18. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Why can't they just film a Mars landing like they did with the Moon landing? It would be considerably cheaper and provide the conspiracy theorists material for years!

19. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Bah! Who cares what Russia thinks they can do? I commend their high hopes and optimism, and I really do hope they succeed... but, really, what basis does this announcement have in reality?
    On a this side of the world, NASA has announced a similarly ambitious agenda. Apparently they've had this hidden agenda to use the ISS as a staging area for building another station at the L1 point which would serve as a gateway for deep-space missions of all sorts. You can read about it here. They didn't want to reveal their agenda too early for fear of being wrist-slapped by Congress for not having their feet firmly planted on the ground. Alas, I think they may have tipped their hand too soon in any case.

20. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I miss the Cold War days. Back then, the USA and USSR were fighting it all out just to get into orbit, then to the moon. Today it seems we're struggling just to remain in orbit. And the moon? We'd almost have to start over from scratch. After thirty years, the people who had firsthand experience on going to the moon are either retired or dead from old age.