What's new

Rushmore-CC vs regular release (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking to get one of these discs, but the $55 that I'd have to pay for the Criterion disc is just too much. Can anyone convince me otherwise? Are the features on the Criterion disc really that good, or is the transfer that much better? Are there any of the same features (or any at all) on the other release?

Steve Kramzer

Stunt Coordinator
The Buena Vista disc is non-anamorphic I believe, and it contains no extras at all. I enjoyed the commentary track and the Rushmore Players present films from the MTV movie awards on the criteron, they alone were worth the price of the disc. I was lucky to find the criterion in a double set at Sam's Club for only $27 with High Fidelity, thats cheaper than most places are just for the Rushmore:CC

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I bought the Criterion for 32. Look around for a good price, and its definitely worth it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yes it is worth it...this is one of my favorite DVDs. The Charlie Rose interviews with Bill Murray and Wes Anderson are great too.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
It's great. I think it actually has around the same amount of features as The Royal Tenenbaums does, too, despite Tenenbaums being a 2-disc set.

I scored this DVD when I spotted it in a local trading store (they deal in games and DVDs). I traded my $10 Requiem For A Dream DVD in for it, paid $5 for the exchange, and ended with a used Rushmore Criterion for which I paid the equivalent of about $15, which isn't TOO bad considering the list is $39.95.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
The Criterion release is definitely the better of the two, but you should probably be able able to find a better price if you shop around. Online I've seen it for about $28 (American). In addition to the standard online merchants, Ebay is actually a pretty good place for picking up CC titles on DVD.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I got the DVD for free, and yes, it's superior to the bare bones non-anamorphic movie-only edition (just for the commentary and MTV Movie Awards spots alone). :)

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.ca's got it for C$46.14... and if there's C$28.86 worth of other product you want to buy from them, then shipping is free! :)
In general, Amazon.ca seems to have lower prices for Criterions in Canada than anyone else I've looked at. (Not sure about the newer Criterions with the lower prices like Traffic.) My first order from them was last week, and I ordered two Criterions... saved about C$22 off the Future Shop price, which in turn had been the lowest prices I had seen up until then. And to make it even better, I ordered on a Monday, had the discs in my hand on Friday July 19... and they had estimated arrival between July 31 & August 7! :)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm-I wonder if Future shop would match amazon.ca's price then...

Hadn't realized that one was non-anamorphic, and I'd like to see the MTV spots. Off to find the best price!

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure... I've never tried that. If you try it, perhaps you could post the results back here... I'd certainly be interested! :D

Corey * C

Grip
A previous post says the Criterion version was packed with High Fidelity (a John Cusack film, as is Grosse Point Blank) at Sam's Club for $27, so one can logically assume that the Amazon 2 pack does contain the Criterion Rushmore. I would look elsewhere first, though, and make Amazon your last resort until you can get confirmation on the contents.

BTW I found the Rushmore Criterion (now one of my favorite DVD's and definitly worth the price) for around $30 at a store in my town - Best Buy, I believe.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Criterion Rushmore vs. bare-bones? No contest. Criterion wins. :D
Not to open a can of worms, but there have been comments (sorry, it was a while ago here) about 'flawed' framing in the Criterion edition. Can anyone comment on this?
I personally think the transfer is gorgeous, and the extras are substantial on Criterion's edition.
~joseph

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'll put it this way...if I was only able to have one DVD, it would probably be Rushmore : Criterion Collection. Shop around and you should be able to find a great deal on this superior disc.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
Hard to say... the Amazon.ca disc details aren't up to par with their US counterpart. However, I checked DVDBoxOffice.com and they have the Rushmore/Grosse Point 2-pack as well. They sell the for less than the Criterion edition by itself. As well, the only studio listed for the pack is Disney/Buena Vista, and DVDBoxOffice will usually mention Criterion in the studio field if applicable.
Based on this, if I had to guess, I would guess it's just the regular version in the pack... but that's just a guess. If you contacted Amazon.ca's customer service, they could probably tell you for sure.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
the only studio listed for the pack is Disney/Buena Vista, and DVDBoxOffice will usually mention Criterion in the studio field if applicable.
This may be true (I've never dealt with DVDBoxOffice) but while "Rushmore" carries the Criterion banner, it is indeed a Disney/Buena Vista release. "Armageddon", "Chasing Amy", "The Rock", "Rushmore" and "The Royal Tenenbaums" are all DVD's distributed and manufactured by Buena Vista Home Video that are produced by the Criterion Collection, so the fact that BV is listed at the DVDBoxOffice page doesn't really clear anything up. Both editions are distributed by Disney/Buena Vista.

Sarah Temple

Agent
did you just try plain old dvdpricesearch.com because if they have a good price, you will be very happy to spend a little extra for the cc.

Users who are viewing this thread