Rush 'Vapor Trails' Review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Apr 19, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Well here it is. Now that I've been able to listen to the entire CD from beginning to end about 15-20 times, I think I can at least put my initial thoughts together. I'm hesitant to do this because I've always said it takes at least a year to truly evaluate a Rush album and determine where it stands with the rest of the collection, but I figured I at least have heard it enough to give my initial thoughts.

DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW RUSH ALBUM DUE FOR RELEASE MAY 14.

First, I'll start by saying that I've been a diehard fan since 1980 (Permanent Waves) - at the ripe age of 8. Incidentally, I'm definitely more of a fan of the pre-80s stuff such as 2112, Hemispheres, A Farewell To Kings, etc.

Here is my breakdown, song by song (in order by track):

1) One Little Victory - The first single off the album. I'll never understand how Rush always manages to release the weakest song on the entire album as the first single. Yes, I know there have been exceptions in the past. This is not one of them. The music of this song (guitar, bass, drums) are actually very good. It's the lyrics I can't get past. If I wanted lyrics like that, I'd listen to Creed or Pearl Jam.

2) Peacable Kingdom - Great bass work by Geddy. I could see this as being one of those Rush songs that grows on you as the years go by.

3) Ghost Rider - Probably my favorite track. POWERFUL stuff. Anyone who thinks Geddy has lost it vocally should give this one a listen.

4) Ceiling Unlimited - Has sort of a U2 sound (which turned me off at first), but I've learned to appreciate it.

5) Stars Look Down - Another example of Geddy showcasing his best vocals in a long time (along with Ghost Rider).

6) How It Is - The "feel-good" song of the album. At first it sounds like a depressing, negative song, but listening closely to the beat and lyrics makes you realize it's about possibilities and making the most of what you have.

7) Vapor Trail - Great lyrics, great classic Rush beat.

8) Out Of The Cradle - Another track that took me a few listens to get into. Haven't quite figured out what it's about it. Great guitar work by Alex.

9) Earthshine - I love this one. From what I hear, this will be their next single off the album. It will be interesting to see how the public reacts to it. Not your typical 'Roll The Bones' or 'One Little Victory' Rush single. Could be the 'Cold Fire' of this album.

10) Sweet Miracle - Okay song, I'm just not crazy about the chorus. It just seems forced to me. The lyrics are good, so this one might grow on me.

11) Nocturne - As I'm listening to this as I type, I think this track has moved up the ranks. Probably the most prog-sounding of the album.

12) Freeze (part IV of Fear) - Probably the most early 80's sounding song they've done since, well, the early 80's.

13) Secret Touch - Great close, although I think I would have closed with 'Freeze', but what do I know. I love the bass work in the beginning.

Favorite tracks:

Ghost Rider

Freeze

Stars Look Down

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Least Favorite tracks:

One Little Victory

Sweet Miracle

Conclusion - I'd have to say, this is a VERY solid effort. Definitely surpasses 'Test For Echo' (wasn't a big fan of that one)...only time will tell if it can surpass 'Counterparts'. I love 'Counterparts'. My only complaint so far (okay, two complaints) is that (1) there is no instrumental, and that (2) yet another Rush album has come, and they still haven't put together an epic track like they did regularly earlier in their career. Quite frankly, we haven't seen that since 'The Camera Eye' on Moving Pictures. So of course I wasn't really expecting it this time around, but I guess I always hold out hope in the back of my mind, especially with bands like Yes coming back with more "progressive" type stuff. Interestingly enough, what I've found with most Rush songs is that the ones that really learn to appreciate and like more over the years are the ones that I didn't like right away (after 1-3 listens). I can honestly say that I felt that way on every single track on this CD, which to me is very promising as to how this one will ultimately measure up to the rest of their collection. I am anxiously awaiting to obtain the "official" copy on May 14.

2. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I have to say, I feel this album is a huge letdown. No song stands out from another. Very monotnous

3. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Todd,

I felt the same way after the first couple listens. It really started to grow on me after a while.

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

I don't know how any Rush fan could dislike this album. IMO, it's the best since Grace Under Pressure. And it's MUCH better than Counterparts which, for me, fizzled out from the middle of the album to the end.

I still don't like One Little Victory and never will but the rest of the album is solid.

Jeff

5. David Benkert

David Benkert Stunt Coordinator

Nevermind - I got it...

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but does anyone know the password for Ticketmaster Internet Rush.com Advance Ticket Sale? I have gone to rush.com and can't get the password and I am actually a member of the site, but never got the password.

Any help would be appreciated. I have been to about 10 concerts and have always been near the back and am trying to get better seats this time.

Thanks,

David

6. CarlP

CarlP Agent

Any word on Rush's Atlantic albums being remastered? The sound (esp. Presto) is lacking.

7. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I can't wait for the new album. After all Neil has been through, I hope the album and tour do as well as this band's music deserves. I can proudly say that I've seen them live 5 times, and I hope to make it six this summer. If you care about good music, musicianship, AND sound, do yourself a favor and check these professionals out. Tool, Dream Theater, etc, would not exist without them, and every hard rock band of yesterday (pre-1985) are self-parodies in comparison. If you are not a fan, you are either too young, or too dumb.

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have seats to the opening show of their 2002 concert tour...right here in Hartford, Connecticut on June 28th baby!!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Carl, no plans that I know of, but you could always check their web site.

Vapor Trails comes out this Tuesday. This is the first time I'm actually looking forward for the weekend to end. Can't wait to hear it!

10. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Maybe this is old news, but it's new to me.
    If you pre-order this album from Amazon, they give you access to listen to it immediately in some kind of streaming format. It's not the same as having the CD, but in the meantime, it's nice to legally have a preview of the songs. Enough so that I don't wish the weekend away [​IMG]
    NP: Bjork - Vespetine DVD-A

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My poll
    [​IMG]
    NP: Rush, Vapor Trails, CD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I assume you like it huh Mike?[​IMG]

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, I certainly like it. Just got the whole thing today and I'm on my second run through it. At least half of the songs hit me as "pretty good" on the first listen, which is a good sign. Yes, One Little Victory is probably the worst song on the album. It still feels like Stick It Out pt.2 I have a feeling that this will grow on me.

Jason

14. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Jason,

That's good to hear -- I heard "One Little Victory" on the radio, and I didn't like it at all.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Wow. Wow.

I'm still taken aback at how heavy it is. No BSing around with keyboards or fancy studio chicanery- it's hard-hitting rock music.

Geddy Lee in top form, of course. Some of those bass lines- just when you think you've heard him do it all.

Peart's just wailin' away on the skins, and Lifeson is all over the place. What a pleasure to finally hear this album.

NP: Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel (3), CD (remastered, digipak)

16. TomGolden

TomGolden Auditioning

So, for those of you who have heard at least some of the songs - is it anything like any of their past albums? At least enough to give me a decent feel for it?

Rush was always one of my top 5 favorite bands. Got to see them with Grace Under Pressure in High School. Although I'm ashamed to admit I haven't bought any of their albums for a very long time......I think the last album I bought was Hold Your Fire.....

Thanks,

Tom

17. David Benkert

David Benkert Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Like Mike said it is pretty heavy, but there are times where you can hear similar riffs from previous albums. Not as far back as Hold Your Fire though. I think I recognized some cord progressions that sounded similar to Test for Echo.

Overall, I really like this album and think I will like it even more with more listens.

At this point, my favs are How it is, Vapor Trail, Eartshine, and Sweet Miracle (Geddy's vocals are great on this I think.)

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Rush has always excelled at incorporating the current musical styles into their songwriting. On this release, they emphasise the darker, harder edge stuff that's popular today, but Rush style.

It's like a more successful version of Counterparts, or an extension of Test For Echo.

NP: Mahler, 6th Symphony, SACD

19. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Wow, this album rocks! Definitely their most guitar-oriented album since Moving Pictures. Very adventurous harmonically and texturally. Neil is incredible as usual, Alex does some very tasty work, and maybe now (but I doubt it!), Geddy will get some credit for being an excellent vocalist without the word "banshee" being inserted in descriptions of him. Too bad I have to wait till September to see 'em (Show #7). [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. TomGolden

TomGolden Auditioning

Schweeeeeet!! [​IMG] I just checked ticketmaster.com and they are in Sacramento on September 18th, and I got a couple tickets for a good buddy and I to go!!
    Guess I need to catch up on a few of their more recent albums... D-oh!!!!