What's new

Rush Vapor Trails leaked - My comments (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>In fact, blasphemy of blasphemies, I think PW is a better album than Moving Pictures, simply because whilst MP has some of the best songs they've done, for me it is not an "every song" rocks album.

Mike Walker

Auditioning
I have to chime in on the PW vs MP debate. Anywho I think that in PW the use of synth became too central to the music. I know synth was used heavily on Signals and Grace Under Pressure, but the use of it on PW was very overpowering in my opinion, almost overshadowing.
It still is a great album, but just not as good as Moving Pictures.
Anyway Moving Pictures contains the greatest song ever recorded...Limelight. :)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
"Territories"

This is one of my fav Rush songs. Subs must be in good working order though. I am glad to hear about the reviews likening the new album to Moving Pictures. I feel much like what Michael had posted, they had a few good tracks from the last 4 discs but I had been hoping for a return to the late 70 to early 80s sound.

Wes

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mike, are you saying that Power Windows had more synths than Grace Under Pressure? I don't think so. In Grace, synth riffs were the basis of the songs (ie, Red Sector A). In PW and Hold Your Fire, the synths were big, but the bass was the music's focus.

I am always shocked at how underappreciated Hold Your Fire is. Force Ten Lock and Key are kickin' tunes with some very intricate arrangements, and Mission and Time Stand Still are breathtaking pop songs.

And Power Windows is great, too. Almost as good as Hold Your Fire, but not quite "there" yet.

Moving Pictures is still my favorite. I consider it a perfect album: every song is amazing, every single moment is enjoyable. It's an amazing accomplishment.

Top Rush records:

1. Moving Picture

2. Hemispheres

3. Hold Your Fire

4. 2112

5. Test For Echo (yes, I do think it's that good)

Bottom Rush records:

1. Grace Under Pressure (too many synths)

2. Presto (I think they wer a little lost with this one)

3. Caress of Steel (fun album, but a little odd)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Everyone has their different, favorite, Rush albums.

Not counting the new album mine are:

1. Signals

2. Grace Under Pressure

3. Moving Pictures

4. Hemispheres

5. Permenant Waves

Least Favorite:

1. Hold Your Fire (Hate this album!!!!!)

2. Test For Echo

3. Presto

4. Counterparts

5. Power Windows (Coming around on it)

I've never heard Roll The Bones so I can't rate that album.

Back in the early 80's, I questioned the fact that Rush went heavily on keyboards after Moving Pictures but after listening to Signals and GUP for so many years, I truly believe they are the best Rush albums.

Jeff

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Jim C---

Sorry, but YYZ and Camera Eye do nothin' for me. Nothin' at all.

And Mystic Rhythms....in the name of all that is good and holy, this is my absolute favorite Rush song. I have three distinct memories grouped around this song:

1. Hearing for the first time at a friend's house in August, 1985 and thinking "those drums kick ass!"

2. Hearing again that fall after purchasing the album. The summer of 1985 I had taken a 5 week trip to the Pacific Northwest. Saw Crater Lake, Hells Canyon, the Nothern Lights...many awesome sights. "MR" seemed to be a perfect coda for that time.

3. Seeing Rush for the first (and sadly only) time in March, 1986, and performing this song. Geddy introduced it as "a dancing song." Just freaking cool, man.

Glad to meet so many other Rush fans here! Now if I can only find someone to go see them in Cincy with me this summer....

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Am I the only one who actually LIKES Presto? After Power Windows, it is the Rush album that I like best as a whole. I think Peart's lyrics reached a high here, and I love the music.
However, I have learned in the last few years that I seem to be in the minority of Rush fans...I didn't really begin to like them until Moving Pictures came out, and it was Signals that really secured me as a fan. "The Analog Kid" just touched me (and still does) in a very deep and hard to describe way.
Other than the well-known songs ("Closer to the Heart," "The Trees," etc.), I don't really care much for pre-Moving Pictures Rush stuff. Especially the 2112 and Hemispheres-era songs -- Geddy sounds like he's screeching!
Let the angry rants begin! :D

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Michael,
Sorry, but YYZ and Camera Eye do nothin' for me. Nothin' at all.
Sorry to hear that :D! Too bad that you won't be enjoying "Camera Eye" as much as I will during the upcoming tour. I started listening to Rush when Moving Pictures and Exit...Stage Left came out. I was sold on them after I saw them in concert the first time (April 1983). I have seen Rush on every tour since the Signals show, and I can tell you that it will be a dream come true to see them perform "Camera Eye" live.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, it's amazing how different Rush fans tastes are! :)
Some points on some comments in this thread:
- While I don't think Moving Pictures is their best album overall, I think The Camera Eye is definitely one of their better songs.
- Moving Pictures would probably be my favorite overall, if it wasn't for (you guessed it) - Tom Sawyer. A weak Rush effort. Okay, so it could have something to do with the fact that I've probably heard that song 149,236 times in my lifetime.
- I've always thought Presto was one of their more powerful albums. I totally agree about 'The Pass' and 'Available Light'. Not to mention 'War Paint' and 'Hand Over Fist'.
- Brett_B, what makes you say they are playing The Camera Eye on this tour? Are you basing it on that petition? If so, I wouldn't count on it. If not, don't tease me like that!
- My "Lists":
Favorite
1. Hemispheres
2. 2112
3. A Farewell To Kings
4. Moving Pictures
5. Caress Of Steel/Counterparts (Couldn't decide between these two)
Least Favorite:
1. Roll The Bones (LOVE Dreamline though)
2. Test For Echo
3. Rush
4. Grace Under Pressure

Mike Walker

Auditioning
As far as the synth thing goes I just think that on PW the synth is overpowering. I think it is more of a production issue rather than a riff issue.
I mean Signals is a very synth driven album, but the synth doesn't seem to overpower the songs, on PW it is very overpowering in my opinion.
The other thing is that the synth sound changed on PW. The sound was more of a synth brass or a squarewave synth, and for some reason I just don't think that interacted with the rest of the instruments as well as a sawtooth style synth.
Power Windows is still a damn good album in my opinion, it just isn't my favorite. :)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Now, on a lighter note...
>>Man, it's amazing how different Rush fans tastes are!

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Jim,
We all know what personal tragedy Neil went through after completing their last tour almost 5 years ago. At that time, Rush (well...Geddy) stated that they will wait for Neil as long as it takes and if he didn't want to continue, Rush would not go on. So, after 5 years Neil is remarried (I would have a hard time accepting this if he was still angry) and he has recorded a new album with the band and is going on tour with the band. I am not doubting that he still thinks about it, but at this time (5 years later) he has definitely moved on. Now if your question was posed 4 years ago, I would have to agree.
I guess one could ask (not anyone in particular) what if you just lost your wife (spouse) and child(ren), where would you be at in 5 years?
Scott,
Yes, I am basing it off of the petition. Based on articles and Geddy's messages, Rush does look at the petition, and since "The Camera Eye" has not been performed since the "Moving Pictures" tour along with that it is the biggest vote getter at this time I would say the chances are VERY high. Just look at last tour. Did you ever think that Rush would perform "2112" in its entirety? What about "Natural Science"? It appears that Rush is very fan focused at this point in time, meaning that I would doubt that they would ignore the fans' requests. Then again, I could be wrong :).

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I just stumbled on to this interesting Rush tidbit, to be released the same day as Vapor Trails:
Link Removed
I can't get MP3s at work, so I'll have to wait until I get home to see how it sounds.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Brian,

Thanks for the link. I listened to the clips available and it didn't sound too bad for a string quartet.

I placed an order for a copy.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>We all know what personal tragedy Neil went through after completing their last tour almost 5 years ago. At that time, Rush (well...Geddy) stated that they will wait for Neil as long as it takes and if he didn't want to continue, Rush would not go on. So, after 5 years Neil is remarried (I would have a hard time accepting this if he was still angry) and he has recorded a new album with the band and is going on tour with the band. I am not doubting that he still thinks about it, but at this time (5 years later) he has definitely moved on. Now if your question was posed 4 years ago, I would have to agree.

I guess one could ask (not anyone in particular) what if you just lost your wife (spouse) and child(ren), where would you be at in 5 years?

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Not to steer this thread into the gloom, but I've got to agree with Jim here. The sort of loss that Neil has dealt with is one you never "move on" from. Losing a parent is difficult enough, and that's a "normal" part of life. Losing a child, especially suddenly in a car accident, must be as wrenching as it gets, and that on top of losing a spouse? I can't imagine.

You can recover to the point where you can function day to day and find joy in life, but I doubt Neil will go a day (or maybe even an hour) again without thinking about his loss. I hope his new life and work is bringing him some measure of peace.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks