Rush Vapor Trails leaked - My comments

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Well I just listened to Vapor Trails. I won't tell anyone where I downloaded it from but the entire album has been leaked in the form of MP3's.
    Now for the good news...
    Rush has finally done it. They have succeeded in making a better album then their most popular, Moving Pictures. Infact, I think they've down right destroyed it.
    I started listening to them in 1982 and I haven't been very impressed with anything they have done since Grace Under Pressure. That is until now of course.
    I'm still not a huge fan of One Little Victory but the rest of the album is SOLID, save maybe 1 or 2 others but they are still good. This is definitely the most original, fresh, work they have done in years. Geddy's vocals are better than any previous Rush album. He still uses the layered vocal stylings like on his solo album but it works much better on VT. Gone almost completely are the keyboards...So what does Geddy do? He ups the bass. And man is it a killer on this one with it being the loudest of any previous Rush album. Alex uses so many amazing and different guitar styles and sounds, I don't know where to begin so I won't bother but I have no idea how he will do some of the songs live.
    I kind of feel sorry for the boys for the leak but the sound quality of the MP3's is not good. They crackle all the way through so Rush has nothing to worry about from us fans, as far as sales are concerned. I'm going to listen to it one more time and then I'm going to delete the files and count down the days till it's released.
    Here are the track listings:
    01 One Little Victory 5:08
    02 Ceiling Unlimited 5:28
    03 Ghost Rider 5:41
    04 Peaceable Kingdom 5:23
    05 Stars Look Down 4:28
    06 How It Is 4:05
    07 Vapor Trail 4:57
    08 Secret Touch 6:34
    09 Earthshine 5:38
    10 Sweet Miracle 3:40
    11 Nocturne 4:49
    12 Freeze 6:21
    13 Out Of The Craddle 5:03

BTW, if this post is a NO NO, then my apologies.
    Jeff

2. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

Hmmmm, interesting. I was wondering when I would hear something about the new album. I was disappointed when they backed up the release date to summer. Now if we can just get them to put a new concert DVD out...

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Very interesting. I personally feel they have matched or surpassed Moving Pictures (Hold Your Fire, Test For Echo), so it's surprising to read this review from someone who holds a more classicist approach to Rush.

I can't wait to hear this. I CAN'T WAIT! (the capital letters signify my intense inability to wait, you see)

NP: AC/DC, Live-Collector's Edition, disc 1, CD

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What's the release date for this album?

I've been testing out my speakers/subwoofer integration, and have found "Moving Pictures" to provide some fun material that taxes them and gives me a decent idea of the blend I am after in my setup.

5. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

6. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Patrick: May 14th is the official release date.

I have only heard (and downloaded) the 2 minute sample mp3's so far (OLV, Nocturne, Earthshine, and Freeze) and I can not wait for more. These indicate a very strong return of my favorite band.

7. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I too, have lost interest in them since Grace Under Pressure. But, this thread might make me get up and give this one a listen.
    Are you sure you're not just a PR guy for RUSH, Jeff? [​IMG]

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

No, I'm not a PR guy for Rush. I was a huge fan of them in the 80's and saw their Power Windows concert in Detroit. (Wish I saw more). It was after Power Windows when I started losing touch with the band and by the time Hold your Fire came out, I stopped buying their CD's. Like I said above, I haven't really liked anything at all that they have done since P/G. Power Windows was ok but it wasn't until Counterparts where I started listening to them again but still was a little disappointed with that album since it started out great but went down hill. I've never heard the Roll your Bones CD and I hated Test For Echo so much I reshrink wrapped it and took it back to the store.

But VAPOR TRAILS. This is more like Rush Phase 2. It's on a completely different level from anything they have done except a couple songs that sound a little like their early 80's stuff. I hope I'm not over hyping it and setting people up for disppointment but I doubt anyone, or atleast any Rush fan, could possibly dislike this album.

May 14th isn't coming fast enough.

Jeff

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Pretty amazing, tho very long. Didn't get home until 1:30. Opening was Land of Chocolate. (For those who don't know, founded by Jon Buzby, younger brother of Chris, of Echolyn.) They weren't bad, tho I don't think Jon is a terribly good singer.

The California Guitar Trio was their usual amazing selves. It is the third time I've seen them and I still think they are great.

Amazing that you see some of the same songs, but they sound completely different. That's the Flower Kings. Also, they can do only 6 songs and it ends up lasting a couple hours.

Road To Sanctuary

Garden Of Dreams

The Eyes Of The World/Jam to/Circus Brimstone

I Am The Sun

Encore:

Last Minute On Earth

Jason

14. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Jason,

I was at that show too! I agree, great show. That was my first time seeing California Guitar Trio, and I must admit I was thoroughly impressed. Heart Of The Sunrise was amazing. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get home (to Baltimore) until 3:30 in the morning due to construction on I-95. Gotta love DC traffic (at 2:00 in the morning no less).

As for Vapor Trails, I have all of the tracks in my posession, but I will not comment until I've heard it a few times through. Actually, the only way to truly review a Rush album is to do it after listening to it for about a year (which is why I'm very skeptical of Jeff's comments). In any event, I will certainly post my thoughts after several listens. I'll be happy if it's at least as good as Counterparts (which I thought was their only "classic" since Moving Pictures).

15. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Hey Jeff, by the way, I don't know if you know this or not, but your track listing is wrong.

This is the correct track listing (at least this is how the Atlantic Records site has it):

1. "One Little Victory"

2. "Peaceable Kingdom"

3. "Ghost Rider"

4. "Ceiling Unlimited"

5. "The Stars Look Down"

6. "How It Is"

7. "Vapor Trail"

8. "Out Of The Cradle"

9. "Earthshine"

10. "Sweet Miracle"

11. "Nocturne"

12. "Freeze (Part IV of 'Fear')"

13. "Secret Touch"

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks for the set list. They played the entire Garden of Dreams? No wonder the show is so long. I can't wait.

I've never heard the CGT, though I just ordered an autographed copy of one of their albums. I'm sure they'll be lots of fun.

NP: Miles Davis, Live-Evil, SACD

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

18. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Auditioning

I am very glad to see the good reviews. I too think this album is the best they have put out in years, in my opinion the best thing since Moving Pictures.

I have been a Rush fan for 5 years, their song have honestly touched me like no other band. I first discovered them during a very strange, wonderful, and hard time in my life.

Honestly I didn't like the sound they developed post Signals, the synths were used way too much, and the sound was too clean. I also didn't like the type of synths they were using, they went from a sawtooth sound to a square wave sound.

I thought because of Neils personal issues that I would never hear another original recording from them again. Thank god I was wrong.

This new album is indeed amazing. Rush has reinvented itself again. The track Vapor Trails gives me chills, as does the rest of the album.

19. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    GAH!

Big...Rush....fan...must....resist....finding...MP 3s.

Mike

20. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I am VERY excited by the good word of the mouth.
    In my own not so humble opinion, the last great album Rush made was Power Windows. Every freaking track was just great. In fact, blasphemy of blasphemies, I think PW is a better album than Moving Pictures, simply because whilst MP has some of the best songs they've done, for me it is not an "every song" rocks album.
    Subsequent releases have been more and more mediocre and spotty. Hold Your Fire had a few great tracks.
    Presto seems to be a really underappreciated CD. I love this CD, almost as much as Power Windows. The title track, The Pass and Available Light are phenomenal songs.
    Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test for Echo....ech. Each had one or three good tracks, but as a whole, they simply did not gel nor did they stick with me.
    Someone commented on Peart still having "some anger." Afer losing his wife to cancer and his daughter to a car accident, I am thinking being a bit angry would be normal. I for one am interested to see how it affects his lyrics and worldview.
    Can't wait for Vapor Trails!